• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Elvis is the king, but momma's still the boss! LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Meredith
My little bay colt, Elvis, is 2 1/2 and growing up fast. He tried to prove it today as I was doing some refresher ground work with him in the round pen. I was free longing him, and it went something like this...

I said to him, "Now,turn and go the other way."

He said, "Nope. I like this direction, so I shall speed up and get ahead of you, so you can't make me turn."

I said, "So you want to play like that do you? Then RUN!" And I wooshed near his butt with the stick and string.
He said, "OH CRAP!" and picked up his feet and cantered.

Then I said to him again, "NOW, turn and go the other direction."

He said, "FINE, but I will turn my butt to you to do it." I'm sure he stuck his tongue out at me at this point. Now, understand, he KNOWS better and knows that turning heels toward me is the absolute wrong thing to do.

I immediately jumped in front of his drive line, and turned him back the original direction and made him gallop around the round pen several more times. I then said, "You will turn and go the other way, and you will do it by turning your face to me...NOT your butt."

And my good little stallion said, "Yes Ma'am! You're the leader!! I will do whatever you say!"

After one lap around, I signaled for him to stop, turn in and come to me in the center of the round pen as his reward for getting it right. Good boy, Elvis. I KNEW you remembered how to do this!

:rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
I'm letting Elvis catch his breath and cool down in the round pen. He got pretty hot and sweaty by pulling his antics... I went out to snap a pic of him, and I can tell by the look on his face he just can't figure out why I didn't put his lead rope on and turn him loose in the yard to graze. Well, I've got news for ya bub...you still have to do under saddle work today. :lol:

Attachments

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
He's beautiful! I really miss my horses. Did you raise him from a foal?

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
Thanks Becky. I love him! I bought him last spring as a yearling. He's gone from a scrawny little colt to a really nice little horse. He still has a LOT of filling out to do, obviously, but he just keeps amazing me by his personality. He's got much more "umpf" than my previous stallion did. That boy was awesome...I could ride him out with mares and geldings with no problems. He NEVER spooked (too darn lazy!) and I could actually put beginners on him. AND he made awesome foals. :) But he just had no get up and go...he was a true bomb proof dead head. LOL! I decided after 3 years of breeding him to geld him and sell him, and I used that money to invest in Elvis. My main reason for doing this was because I LOVE....LOVE....LOVE team/ranch sorting. In case I forgot to mention this, I LOVE it! It was all I could do to get Sunny to trot, let alone chase a cow. Elvis is cow bred to the hilt, is quick on his feet, and has infinite more energy than Sunny did. Of course I think a sleeping sloth has more energy than Sunny....but I digress. Hubby thought I was making a huge mistake. He couldn't see the potential in Elvis that I did. He's finally admitted that he thinks I made a good choice. ;)

The pic of Elvis here was taken 2 days after I brought him home. The other picture is of my big 15.2h "kenardley" stallion, Sunny, the summer before I gelded and sold him.

Attachments

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
Loved your story, we need more photos! Will you keep Elvis as a stallion?

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
Thank you Chels. :) And yes, I am planning to keep him a stallion. His breeding is amazing, and I have him double registered AQHA/FQHA. He's 96.9% foundation, which is a higher percentage than even some of the most well known Quarter Horse sires on record. He's really got the personality and the conformation that qualifies him as potential stallion material. So long as he maintains his good demeanor, he will be allowed to be intact.
I plan to use him in ranch sorting and halter...was going to start halter with him this year, but decided to give him a little more time to fill out and mature. He's also turning into a really nice little trail horse, which will give us a relaxing hobby to do when we're not competing next year. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Meredith - "Of course I think a sleeping sloth has more energy than Sunny...."

Reminds me of a horse we had on the ranch (cattle) in NV. He had been Bobby Jones' calf roping horse and originally came from the RO ranch in TX. Dad thought he had really gotten a bargain. Well, when Bobby retired from roping he had retired. Bobby was well mannered and probably the most comfortable to ride of all of our horses. BUT he would fall sound asleep while walking and actually fall on his nose. If you didn't keep dinging him he would walk slower and slower and finally just stop. Bobby was comfortable, but a lot of work to ride.
ML

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
Sunny was a smooth walk, but trotting him was like riding a sack full of jack hammers during an earthquake! I had no other choice but to post his trot...if you tried to sit through it, you would start losing fillings, teeth, and anything else that might be prone to rattle loose and fall to the ground! :eek: He was THE laziest stallion I've EVER known...seriously! If he were in with a mare for breeding (and he were in the middle of wooing said mare) and you brought anything that even resembled a feed bucket out...forget the mare! He made a bee-line for the bucket. :lol:

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
:lol: Sunny sounds like my kind of horse!! :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.