• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Elusive dashbird...

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
On my route tonight I got a little bit of a fright. I put a paper in a tube in a neighborhood full of bird themed streets, as I have done for more than a year, and a fulttery whoosh too big for a hummingbird moth ended up on my dashboard. It took a moment to move, and I did see a pretty good profile in the dark. I'm still not sure what it was, by the time I got the windows down and the back door opened and went back for the phone flashlight it used my back as a spring board to safety.

Anyway, it was a fun change to the monotony! Pretty small, house sparrow size, but the bill was unusual. Longer than I'm used to seeing on the typical bird feeder visitors, and curved down a little bit. The body also seemed longer than the house sparrow, wrens, and finches I'm used to seeing. I wish I had a color to offer, but the backlighting made it impossible to see much of anything. Definitely not a finch, and obviously looking for a safe place for the night...I think it's painfully aware the tube is a terrible nest site now.

Any thoughts on what it might have been? (I'm okay calling it a dashbird :p)

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Pretty small, house sparrow size, but the bill was unusual. Longer than I'm used to seeing on the typical bird feeder visitors, and curved down a little bit. The body also seemed longer than the house sparrow, wrens, and finches I'm used to seeing.
Brown Creeper maybe?

Reactions: Ali

BirdWorld

Long billed thrasher? AE2AF12E-6888-40DF-A509-E5131B8D6D07.jpeg