• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Elevated protein

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Hi all.

So the rescue just got the fecal panel results back from the lab for my new GCC - they don't do blood tests for small birds I guess. The tests showed elevated protein. Apparently the vet said that she wasn't concerned and that it could just be from stress.
Okay. So I looked up elevated proteins and saw a bunch of scary things. I'm going to pick him up tomorrow.
I wanted to take him to my vet as well, just to get him established as a new patient and to have the vet do the DNA test. This doesn't have to be right away. I'm not sure how nervous he'll be. Thought I might give him a few days to settle before taking him to the vet. Maybe longer?

What questions should I ask my vet? Is there something I should be looking out for? The rescue and the rescue's vet weren't concerned at all, but I don't know why..

Thoughts?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I try to get all of the vet stuff out of the way ASAP so we don't have to interrupt bonding time later :)

I'm not sure about the proteins in feces question though! I would recommend stop googling though until you see your vet ;)

The main question I would have is: why would they find this, mark it as anomalous, but not be concerned? And then ask if they recommend further testing and why.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I try to get all of the vet stuff out of the way ASAP so we don't have to interrupt bonding time later :)

I'm not sure about the proteins in feces question though! I would recommend stop googling though until you see your vet ;)

The main question I would have is: why would they find this, mark it as anomalous, but not be concerned? And then ask if they recommend further testing and why.
Good advice on the Googling. :wtf:

As far as when to take him to the vet, I forgot that I have to wait to receive the DNA test kit in the mail - only ordered today. Hopefully that'll come ASAP. Then the vet said they'll fit me in.

Thank you. I did ask why were they not concerned, and the rescue just said, cause it could be just stress. Okay..."could be" is fun.
But you're right, I'll wait, bring the labs in and ask my vet and until then not overthink it. :geek:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Good advice on the Googling. :wtf:

As far as when to take him to the vet, I forgot that I have to wait to receive the DNA test kit in the mail - only ordered today. Hopefully that'll come ASAP. Then the vet said they'll fit me in.

Thank you. I did ask why were they not concerned, and the rescue just said, cause it could be just stress. Okay..."could be" is fun.
But you're right, I'll wait, bring the labs in and ask my vet and until then not overthink it. :geek:
It's hard I know!! Ripley had a heart murmur when I got him and my vet was like "well it's probably diet related. I'm not worried."

Like how are you not worried about heart issues??

But she was right and his heart was totally fine after we got his diet improved lol

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Awesome! That's so great. Well, I'll definitely do all the things I can do, so I guess there's no point in getting crazy about it before I know.