• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Elegant parrots breeding

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
Hi, so a couple days ago I bought a breeding pair of elegant parrots, to stock my aviary that should be finished by the time they’re done with the chicks. And they’ve apparently settled in quite fast as the female has been going in and out of the nest box for the last two days, but not long ago I caught them breeding, but I accidentally moved and they separated. He wasn’t on her for more then a second. The female has now gone into the box again, I’m just worried that they think they’ve bred and she’ll lay infertile eggs. Is this possible? Is it possible they could be fertile from the tiny amount of time he was on her for? Will they know that they didn’t properly mate and try again?

derin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Derin
yes there is a possibility. chances are they were mating when you weren't around, and even if she does lay infertile eggs she will lay more fertile ones soon after.

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
yes there is a possibility. chances are they were mating when you weren't around, and even if she does lay infertile eggs she will lay more fertile ones soon after.
Ive witnessed them try one other time, the female seems to really want to breed but when the male steps onto her back he just steps right off. I’ve since put them to bed and I think I’ve heard them doing the deed since then. I apparently picked the perfect time to get them because all this week and the past two days have been rain all day and full sun.

derin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Derin
Ive witnessed them try one other time, the female seems to really want to breed but when the male steps onto her back he just steps right off. I’ve since put them to bed and I think I’ve heard them doing the deed since then. I apparently picked the perfect time to get them because all this week and the past two days have been rain all day and full sun.
thats good! i wish you the best!

sith'ari

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fee
Neophemas (includes elegants) are generally easily disturbed from their activities. My budgies will mate regardless of observation, but my Neophemas and rosellas will jump right off each other if I walk in on them. They do not mate only once, however - most parrot species mate many times prior to laying. It's unlikely that one interruption will inhibit fertilization. If it does, they shouldn't have a problem recovering for the next clutch. Just be careful not to let them lay more than 2 clutches in a row and make sure they have a breeder diet

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
Neophemas (includes elegants) are generally easily disturbed from their activities. My budgies will mate regardless of observation, but my Neophemas and rosellas will jump right off each other if I walk in on them. They do not mate only once, however - most parrot species mate many times prior to laying. It's unlikely that one interruption will inhibit fertilization. If it does, they shouldn't have a problem recovering for the next clutch. Just be careful not to let them lay more than 2 clutches in a row and make sure they have a breeder diet
Hey, good news. There’s two eggs in the nest! I’m expecting more soon and have seen them mate a few more times. Also, any advice on what a good breeder diet would be? I’ve been itching to buy them one but the only foods especially breeding foods is marketed towards more common birds. Would things like breeding hookbill pellets meant for budgies be ok? I also have some egg mix meant for breeding already and I assume that’s ok for them aswell? Any help would be awesome.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The birds diet should be changed months before allowing breeding for optimum results.
For now I would speak with your vet RE a supplement for calcium and vitamins. You will need to have your birds looked at by a professional (a vet) to be sure they need it. Take a list of their curent foods with you to the vet to discuss it with them.

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
Hi
The birds diet should be changed months before allowing breeding for optimum results.
For now I would speak with your vet RE a supplement for calcium and vitamins. You will need to have your birds looked at by a professional (a vet) to be sure they need it. Take a list of their curent foods with you to the vet to discuss it with them.
Hi, yeah I wasn’t planning on having them breed so soon, I assumed they’d take a lot longer to settle in, but she may have been about to lay an egg before I got them because she did start laying rather soon after I got them. I’m currently giving them soluvite D which has among others calcium and stuff, They also have a calcium block in their cage which I see the male atleast nibbling on sometimes, I also give them lettuce, apples and corn so far, I also put a little of the grown grass from bird seed on a little container on the bottom of the cage and they like chewing/eating that. They have sunlight all day and on warmer days the window is open so they get vitamin D. They aren’t showing any negative signs or anything and look quite healthy.

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
A
Hi

Hi, yeah I wasn’t planning on having them breed so soon, I assumed they’d take a lot longer to settle in, but she may have been about to lay an egg before I got them because she did start laying rather soon after I got them. I’m currently giving them soluvite D which has among others calcium and stuff, They also have a calcium block in their cage which I see the male atleast nibbling on sometimes, I also give them lettuce, apples and corn so far, I also put a little of the grown grass from bird seed on a little container on the bottom of the cage and they like chewing/eating that. They have sunlight all day and on warmer days the window is open so they get vitamin D. They aren’t showing any negative signs or anything and look quite healthy.
Also the previous owner may have been giving them a special diet as he breeds them and I believe was planning to breed this pair. He never mentioned it though.