• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Electus parrot

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I'm sorry I missed this. It's really hard to see in the photo. Can you get a clearer picture? Something is going on with the feathers on his head, but I can't see what it might be.

Mantis64

Here are clearer ones. What I find upsetting is it seems that it seems that there is only one simple dowel perch and no toys.:(
It's not even listed as an electus parrot just a parrot. I would love to get him so I could get him a bigger cage and toys but I know it wouldn't be fair on him because I'm about to start university. Hopefully the person that buys him will care for him better.

Attachments

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
From what I can see its a mojo moult, Basil is getting pretty bare as well. LOTS of showers. Here's some pictures from one of my facebook forums on how bad they can get. (I couldnt find the worst one ive seen ): )

Attachments

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Here are clearer ones. What I find upsetting is it seems that it seems that there is only one simple dowel perch and no toys.:(
It's not even listed as an electus parrot just a parrot. I would love to get him so I could get him a bigger cage and toys but I know it wouldn't be fair on him because I'm about to start university. Hopefully the person that buys him will care for him better.
That poor bird ): could you get him and bring him into a rescue?

Mantis64

That poor bird ): could you get him and bring him into a rescue?
I live in the uk not to sure about rescues. I just pray that he finds a loving caring home. I would love to get him because the uni is only 20mins away and my whole family loves birds and could support and care for him. But I don't know much about the spieces and have never owned a bird that requires such high maintenance, hopefullyone day in the future I can own one as I love the electus. I currently own a ringneck never have owned a bird bigger than that. Also it is quite far from where I live and because of the lockdown I dont know how I would get to him.

Last edited:

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Where is he?

You could call problem parrots or birdline and see if they could take him on...

Mantis64

Where is he?

You could call problem parrots or birdline and see if they could take him on...
Good idea I'll see if I can find the advert again if not someone has probably already purchased him

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Problem Parrots have a page on their website that allows you to contact them through a form. You could notify them of him, or even ask them to rehome him from you.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Below is from the veterinary Merck manual on parrot feathers. Might help......

Molting is a very complex process that has been difficult to sort out and fully understand.
Normal molt has nothing to do with temperature or new feathers pushing out old ones. It has everything to do with a natural "hormonal rhythm" that all birds maintain.
Cytokines are messenger proteins that carry signals locally between cells. These signaling molecules used extensively by birds in cellular communication. Unlike hormones – they concentrate locally and are active in lower concentration. These signaling chemicals have been found to increase when molt begins – just like they do when hair is shed and regrown. Whether they function to dislodge the old feather or grow a new feather or If they are the actual cause of the molting process remains unknown.
Melatonin tells the bird when to "molt". But it does not cause feathers to fall out or regrow. It is the primary hormone produced by the pineal gland. It is also called the time keeper hormone because oscillations its production and secretion that are timed to the amount of light that is present are the body’s central timekeeper.

Some veterinarians associate molt problems with thyroid problems. Meaning they don't molt normally. Keep in mind that when toxin levels increase in birds, this can cause the bird to molt un-naturally.

If your parrots feather colors are dull or off-color, if they are broken or have stress bars or if they fail to develop normally the bird is not in good over-all health.

The biggest cause of poor feathering is malnutrition due to the bird consuming an unbalanced diet. Even if you are feeding a balanced diet, parrots often pick through it, eating only the things that catch their fancy.

The most common cause of abnormally molt cycles is artificial lighting that is out of sync with the normal sunrise and sunset of the season.

The most common cause of abnormal feather formation is poor diet. Another common cause of poor feathering is chronic stress.

If someone does take this bird in, I sure hope they have it checked for avian polyomavirus. Better to be safe.

Mantis64

I found the advert is says the account is a rescue centre but what confuses me is why is this person selling the birds then I though rescues take on birds and find them homes for free. Hopefully one of you can explain this to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I found the advert is says the account is a rescue centre but what confuses me is why is this person selling the birds then I though rescues take on birds and find them homes for free. Hopefully one of you can explain this to me.
Most rescues charge a rehoming fee, this helps weed out the bird flippers, and helps in costs of running a rescue. That cost money as well. Nothing is exactly free anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mantis64

Most rescues charge a rehoming fee, this helps weed out the bird flippers, and helps in costs of running a rescue. That cost money as well. Nothing is exactly free anymore.
Thanks for explaining that. I feel so stupid now should have researched more about the advert and advertiser. Still am confused on why there is only one perch in there with no toys.

Last edited:

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
The only rescue I can see in that area is Wobbly Parrot Rescue, whose site hasn' been updated since the 1990s. Most places do charge a rehoming fee, but it is usually cheaper than the full price you would expect to pay from a breeder etc. Also, would a rescue really be likely to have a bird that young?

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Thanks for explaining that. I feel so stupid now should have researched more about the advert and advertiser. Still am confused on why there is only one perch in there with no toys.
No no, don't feel stupid, there's times I'm like that too, missed something and just go ooohhhh duh!! :D:roflmao:

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
The only rescue I can see in that area is Wobbly Parrot Rescue, whose site hasn' been updated since the 1990s. Most places do charge a rehoming fee, but it is usually cheaper than the full price you would expect to pay from a breeder etc. Also, would a rescue really be likely to have a bird that young?
It also says that they are not a registered charity on the advert.