• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Electrical outlet under bird cage? Safety hazard or not?

BlueKiwis

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jasmine
I plan on putting a large cage in the spot pictured but the outlet would be underneath the cage, could the outlet get wet or something or would it be fine? 9A6B0531-0A1C-4A6C-A5D1-E76ED0AD487A.jpeg

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Maybe you could tape a plastic tub over it with duct tape, just in case. I'd be cautious about this for sure.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I would be more worried about electrical cords. Covering the outlet with some type of box, plastic. And screwing down but cords you will need some type of metal cable wrap to protect them.

BlueKiwis

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jasmine
I would be more worried about electrical cords. Covering the outlet with some type of box, plastic. And screwing down but cords you will need some type of metal cable wrap to protect them.
How about these? Would the cord have to be covered all the way or just near the cage? Wouldn’t be able to screw anything in as the house is a rental.
D7E8A252-54ED-4732-B2AD-B7BDA53ED611.png DF387E4C-AEDE-490A-B8AE-E86EB7E01624.png

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can you just not use that power point?

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
In any area that's damp or could expect to get wet, you should use a GFCI outlet (that you'd typically see in a bathroom or near the kitchen sink).

Also... cord covers.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
In any area that's damp or could expect to get wet, you should use a GFCI outlet (that you'd typically see in a bathroom or near the kitchen sink).

Also... cord covers.
I don’t think your electrical outlets are the same as ours. The ones we have near bathroom and kitchen sinks are exactly the same as the rest of the house but they must be a certain distance away from the water supply.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
For a while one of my cages had a plug behind it.
I took an extra grate (it was a large bottom grate that was unused), I placed it behind the cage in front of the plug and cord. I then put a large piece of cardboard behind the grate so any traveling birds had nothing to grab or even see.
Not especially pretty, but not to bad either. Mine was one of those large power surge plugs. The grate and cardboard completely covered the plug/cord for the time my cage was there.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have a power point behind Burt’s cage, I keep the cage far enough away from the wall that he can’t reach the cords from inside the cage and any spilled water can’t hit the power point.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I don’t think your electrical outlets are the same as ours...
Interesting, thank you.

(edit -- it looks like yours are installed at the panel)

Last edited:

BlueKiwis

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jasmine
I have a power point behind Burt’s cage, I keep the cage far enough away from the wall that he can’t reach the cords from inside the cage and any spilled water can’t hit the power point.
If i kept the cage a few cms from the cords, kept the back covered, put cardboard behind it and used a cord cover, would that be good?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If i kept the cage a few cms from the cords, kept the back covered, put cardboard behind it and used a cord cover, would that be good?
I can’t see a problem with it as long as you know that water isn’t likely to be an issue.
Are your birds budgies or are they larger parrots?