• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Elderly pet bird with suspected crop illness

JelloLuna

Checking out the neighborhood
Waiting for a call back from his vet. In the mean time, his crop appears full but is soft, like a squishy water balloon. I was able to help him regurgitate as he was attempting to while I was holding him and I gently held him tipped forward and massaged his crop until he stopped. Definitely saw some millet hulls and lots of fluid, fluid did not smell as far as I could tell. His breath also doesn't seem to smell, although this could all lead to sour crop or worse which is what I'm worried about. I had given him some millet today as a treat so I'm assuming this is what caused this as he was fine before I gave it to him. Right now he seems to feel a little better but still appears sickly. I know he needs warmth and I'm trying that but he doesn't like being wrapped in anything so I've opted for a non-electric heating pad that I've warmed in hot water, insulated in pillowcases, and tucked under the bottom grate so he's not standing directly on it, and several covers over his cage to try to seal in the heat. Is there anything else I can do for him in the meantime?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew