• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Elderly Cockatiel Help

Sidxeyx

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sidney
Hi everyone! So a little background my grandmother is in the hospital and it’s critical, she has a cockatiel named Apache he’s well over 10 years old, I’ve offered to my grandfather to take him to Houston with me (they’re in Dallas) and care for him till my grandma is better or if I need to permanently. My grandmother got him when her was around four months old and he’s only lived with her his whole life. He knows me and my sister since we came up every summer. I just want to know any recommendations on how to make his transition as easy as possible. I’ve added a picture of his scraggly self, don’t mind the mess my sister was moving out lol. Thank you in advance. F4B9D8AE-ABE7-42E5-A0A9-6012F9EF4F6B.jpeg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry about your grandma. Her tiel is adorable. Are you sure he's a "he"? (Do I see tail barring in the picture?) Also, 10 really isn't elderly for a tiel. I have a 21 year old tiel and a 31 year old tiel right now. I think the easiest way to help him transition is to try to keep everything the same as possible. Same food. Same bedtime, etc. until he settles in. I think tiels are more adaptable than we sometimes give them credit for and if he already knows you I think that will be a big help. You probably already know this- but to "bird safe" your house you shouldn't use teflan pans, burn candles, use air fresheners etc. It's very nice of you to help Apache. :)

clisa

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Lisa
Aww, the underneath tail feathers look like a female cockatiel. So sweet. I'm sorry about your grandmother; I do hope she recovers and can come home to Apache. I would say make sure to keep the food the same. Millet is a good stress relief food cockatiels like to munch on in addition to a seed or pellet mix. If they are nervous and not eating much, I find millet is my go-to to get some food in them. I'm not sure if you are familiar with birds but if you are taking Apache with you, just make sure not to use teflon cookery and avoid certain dangerous foods like chocolate, avocado, apple seeds (though apple fruit is fine). Do you have other pets that might make Apache nervous (like a dog or cat)? If so, figure out where to put Apache's cage so that he/she has company but not too too much craziness around. A cover over the cage (at least 3 sides) at night sometimes can help with a feeling of security. You are such a wonderful person to care for your grandma's bird and how responsible of you to come onto this community to seek help. Best of luck.

Sidxeyx

Real Name
Sidney
Sorry about your grandma. Her tiel is adorable. Are you sure he's a "he"? (Do I see tail barring in the picture?) Also, 10 really isn't elderly for a tiel. I have a 21 year old tiel and a 31 year old tiel right now. I think the easiest way to help him transition is to try to keep everything the same as possible. Same food. Same bedtime, etc. until he settles in. I think tiels are more adaptable than we sometimes give them credit for and if he already knows you I think that will be a big help. You probably already know this- but to "bird safe" your house you shouldn't use teflan pans, burn candles, use air fresheners etc. It's very nice of you to help Apache. :)
hello! I was always told that Apache was a boy, I looked it up and I think you’re right about her being a girl! I still love them whichever gender lol anyways thank you for the helpful information, I mainly own parakeets. I have a baby one now, meeka, so I know all about the dangers but thank you for covering that base! I will keep his routine as similar as possible! If you don’t mind I can try and send you updates on him and his
Transition! Thank you again for the advice!

Sidxeyx

Real Name
Sidney
Aww, the underneath tail feathers look like a female cockatiel. So sweet. I'm sorry about your grandmother; I do hope she recovers and can come home to Apache. I would say make sure to keep the food the same. Millet is a good stress relief food cockatiels like to munch on in addition to a seed or pellet mix. If they are nervous and not eating much, I find millet is my go-to to get some food in them. I'm not sure if you are familiar with birds but if you are taking Apache with you, just make sure not to use teflon cookery and avoid certain dangerous foods like chocolate, avocado, apple seeds (though apple fruit is fine). Do you have other pets that might make Apache nervous (like a dog or cat)? If so, figure out where to put Apache's cage so that he/she has company but not too too much craziness around. A cover over the cage (at least 3 sides) at night sometimes can help with a feeling of security. You are such a wonderful person to care for your grandma's bird and how responsible of you to come onto this community to seek help. Best of luck.
Hi! Thank you so much for the helpful information and newly gendering Apache!! I own a few parakeets myself and wanted a cockatiel actually but couldn’t find a breeder,
So I guess it’s luck I’m able to get him! I asked my grandpa to bring his blanket (my grandma actually made it for him) and his food. My room is pretty bird proof and I do have a dog but he’s used to birds and doesn’t bother them (but is never left alone with them) and Apache has lived with my sisters dog so he/she’s not completely new to dogs! He loves corn and crackers too! He loves neck rubs and head kisses I wish I could post a video of him!! But I will keep you updated, thank you so much for the help!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
hello! I was always told that Apache was a boy, I looked it up and I think you’re right about her being a girl! I still love them whichever gender lol anyways thank you for the helpful information, I mainly own parakeets. I have a baby one now, meeka, so I know all about the dangers but thank you for covering that base! I will keep his routine as similar as possible! If you don’t mind I can try and send you updates on him and his
Transition! Thank you again for the advice!
I would love to see updates and feel free to ask questions.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
:welave: Good luck with the cockatiel! I'm so sorry about your grandmother. Hope she gets better soon! I'm looking forward to any updates! I think Apache has still got some years left at 10 yrs old. ;)