• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Elderly Budgie Gone Broody

Scotchargu

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Debbie Allan
I wonder if anyone can advise me on what has gone wrong with my budgie. She is about 8 years old and for the first time in her life she has gone very broody. She has never shown any interest in nesting in her life until now! This has been going on for a few months now. She wants to make a nest and constantly goes around the base of the cage tapping at it and tearing thigns, pulling things apart etc. She attacks her male mate if he goes near the base of the cage (at any other time she is very friendly with him - he's too old to be interested ie he's 15 years and almost blind). I am covering the cage to reduce the hrs of light (my flat is dull at night anyway). Nothing has changed to cause this. Same cage in same room for 7 years. She has become more tame since this happened and has always been super nervous. If she is out of the cage she is looking for a dark space to nest. If anyone has any ideas on what could have caused this odd behaviour I would be pleased to hear. Thankyou.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Honestly, I would schedule a vet visit. I would worry she has developed a cyst or tumor that has thrown her into a rough hormonal cycle from what you’re describing. :(
Far too common in older female budgies.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I second a vet visit as well better to err on the side of caution and get her checked.