• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Eko, got his beak caught in his cage bars while hanging upside down and the edges are bleeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
The next time Nicky SC & I see his CAV, I'm going to ask for 5-10 doses of something like Tramadol & another bottle of Metacam so I can give him a call any time of day or night, explain the problem, & ease my Nicky's pain. All this is to truly give appropriate meds to our poor hurting fabies until appointment time is ready. Birds really keep their illnesses to themselves, & their pain is suffered in silence I want to ease their pain when my CAV & I agree on a cause & a helpful dose of the proper meds.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
The next time Nicky SC & I see his CAV, I'm going to ask for 5-10 doses of something like Tramadol & another bottle of Metacam so I can give him a call any time of day or night, explain the problem, & ease my Nicky's pain. All this is to truly give appropriate meds to our poor hurting fabies until appointment time is ready. Birds really keep their illnesses to themselves, & their pain is suffered in silence I want to ease their pain when my CAV & I agree on a cause & a helpful dose of the proper meds.
I doubt the vet would prescribe something for future problems. If you need pain relief, why not get some holistic meds for the times you can't get to the vet right away?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8::hug8:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

My husband said it feels like we are being told by the universe that we don't deserve pets. It has been awful.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
So not true....

When we thought we could lose Kita I said something similar to my husband and he said that regardless of what happens, she is in the best hands, the hands that she knows and loves, and she has the faith in us that we are doing everything we can for her........

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
I would be more concerned with him doing it again hun are the bars spaced to fare apart?

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I would be more concerned with him doing it again hun are the bars spaced to fare apart?
Definitely not for a large Eclectus. The bar spacing is 1/2". He has always done this thing we call "laps". He makes circuits around the entire cage hanging upside down. he was probably climbing head down to stand on his door perch and lost his footing. We have always said he was a monkey in a an ekkie suit.

This is my bird that the day we brought in a new foster ekkie and I was sitting in the office, he learned how to turn off the bird room light by leaning from a cage. So he kept shutting off the birdroom lights and walking out of the room leaving all the other birds in the dark. He did it like 5 times that day. Butt head.

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I just went in to wake up the birdies and he had an avicake in his foot eating, so that is a good sign.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Please don't blame yourself. All living things have occasional accidents. Goodness I'm one of the most accident prone people I've ever met, but I hope my mother doesn't feel guilty about it:)

I'm sure he is probably ok and probably does not need a vet check unless he stops eating or shows signs of an infection.

Doesn't hurt to have some Metacam or Celebrex solution around for pain relief if needed though. My vet gave me some Metacam after finding (or, I think, making) a small hole in Pete's beak. She did first ask me if I had any Celebrex left, which Merlin takes at times for her AVB. I said no, we used it all and she told me she was giving me extra Metacam just in case I needed it for any future injuries.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse

I doubt the vet would prescribe something for future problems. If you need pain relief, why not get some holistic meds for the times you can't get to the vet right away?
It depends on the vet and the relationship you have with him/her. I always have pain relief/anti inflammatory meds, ear meds, eye meds and antibiotics (oral and injectable) on hand to treat my cats and dogs. My vet started giving them to me when he realized that I could be trusted to use them appropriately. It's been a lifesaver after hours and on weekends, when I want to start treatment right away.

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I'll let everybody know what my CAV says about having something on hand for pain.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Hope he's feeling better today! I think you should change his cage. 1/2" is not safe for big beaks. My caiques are smaller than Eko but they are in a 1" cage, as well as my grey. His beak would definitely get caught in 1/2" bars.

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Until now, I never realized this could be dangerous (bars too close together.)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Until now, I never realized this could be dangerous (bars too close together.)
This had happened on a caique list I belong to, so when I designed my NW cage I asked John (the engineer) to be sure no bars were closer than 5/8". Rudy, my rb lives in it, and he has a small beak.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I hope Eko is just fine. Sending positive energy and hugs to you.:hug8:

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I never thought about too close either. I was always worried about too wide.

Why must our fids try to give us heart attacks? :eek: :confused:

I feel like with me, things just are all falling apart at once. I work really hard to give my birds the best care they can have aside from a huge aviary or living in the wild. Yet we all know how many birds live in horrid conditions and never have these freak accidents or issues. AKKKK!!

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8:Don't blame yourself.Things happen,and they can happen so quickly.

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
I never thought about too close either. I was always worried about too wide.

Why must our fids try to give us heart attacks? :eek: :confused:

I feel like with me, things just are all falling apart at once. I work really hard to give my birds the best care they can have aside from a huge aviary or living in the wild. Yet we all know how many birds live in horrid conditions and never have these freak accidents or issues. AKKKK!!
Oh don't blame yourself. :hug8: I had a weekend like that a couple of weeks ago..I was seriously doubting myself where my birds are concerned. Willow had a tail split injury that happened when she jumped off of my shoulder (Friday night) and had to have 8 stitches in her bum, then Henry my IRN attacked Sunny and caused her foot to bleed while she was on my shoulder (Saturday), this resulted in him being clipped which I planned not to do again (also on Saturday night), then Sunday rolls around and I hear the tell tell signs of love in the afternoon from the dining room..Sunny and Bailey at it like two rabbits so I had to separate them again. :eek: I felt like a total failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.