• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ekkies and fear of certain colors, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeb

Strolling the yard
Hi all,

My female ekkie, Kiana, seems to be easily frightened by anything that is a shade of red. A red towel, a orangey single stem rose I brought my wife, etc. When I have brought these items in the vicinity of Kiana, she will leap from wherever she is perched. Kiana is otherwise usually nonplussed by new items or interested in them.

I can not identify this fear in our male ekkie, Kai, but given that he less than a year old, and very timid, I think its too early to form an opinion on him.

A quick internet search does not produce any natural predators of ekkies. My first thought was that a natural predator had some red coloration.

Another thought, is maybe female ekkies are less than fond of one another.

Just kiana's personal anxiety or do others' ekkies either have a similiar fear of red or of other things that they would like to share.

Thank you.

Jeb

Magic

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
kayla used to be scared of the color black or a phone she soon got out of being afread of the color black when i bought her a black cage tho but she still hates the phone and wants to kill it she is abit jumpy at things that move to fast for her but she isnt scared of the color red she sat next to a scarlet macaw i had here for a few monthsand she found him to be interesting

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
My Timneh will yank every feather out of her chest if sees the color red. It's so bad that, one year, back in my "professional" days, I had a function to attend. It was around the holidays and I chose my clothes the night before - a red blouse. Jessie was naked by morning. Many birds do not like the color red. I am not sure why, but they don't.

LOL - don't ever put a mirror in her cage!!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I've never seen any color affect Ruby.

2Birds3Kids

Walking the driveway
I was always on the lookout for color sensitivities in my ekkie, but she never showed any.

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
Many of my birds have a fear of colors such as red and orange. I wonder if this is instincutal since many poisonous things in the wild would be bright red and orange colors and colors similar. Birds see colors more inhanced so a red eclectus may not see a red towel as the same color as another eclectus even though it looks like a similar color to us. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.