• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ekkie jabbing at himself/over-preening

Status
Not open for further replies.

tailsoflove

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Dawn
My green boy, Treeko has always been super healthy and his feathers have always been in perfect condition. He's never toe-tapped, picked or had any other bad habits. However, over the course of about a year, he has started to pick out pin featheres when stressed. Recently (after i returned for a trip out of town) he started doing something i have never seen him do before. He is now almost doing a "jabbing" type action everywhere on his body when he preens. It's almost like hes really angry and really itchy. He is not pulling featheres during this "jab" session but just seems really bothered. He has also picked so many feathers on one side of his chest that I am starting to see the spot becomeing thinner and tattered. This has never happened since whenever he picked out pin feathers when stressed, it was very subtle and when he was back into his normal routine it would stop. This is the first time I have ever seen the signs of his picking actually show through. Combined with this new over-preening/jabbing, I am worried about what's going on with him. I have sprayed him with aloe, showered him regularly and nothing else has changed in his routine/care/diet.. the only thing i can think of is that the weather is changing and his skin is becoming dry but this seems pretty intense.. Has anyone ever seen or had a bird that did this jabbing type feather preening? Thanks..
Dawn

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Has it been cooler outside? Are you using a heater?

I recommend getting a humidifier to use during the autumn and winter months. This really helps seasonal pickers/pluckers. As sometimes birds pluck/pick/feather chew because their skin becomes dried out and itchy (this is due to using any type of heater, as it will suck out the moisture from the air).

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
Reba has done that before when she gets frustrated she like aggressively preens, she never messes up her feathers, I just give her a warm shower if I notice her doing it even if she has already had one and it usually helps. I would keep an eye on him tho he seems from the pin feather pulling that he might be developing some stress issues. One of the rescue CAGs will do that if his owner goes away for any length of time like a seperation anxiety.

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
What is his diet? It is possible he is developing a food allergy.

tailsoflove

Real Name
Dawn
He has been on a pretty consistent diet which I make myself so that I know what is going into it. It consists of organic veggies, legumes, whole grains and has a bit of organic red palm oil mixed in. His dry mix is puffed whole grains, unsulphured dried and dehydrated fruit, pine nuts (and other healthy nuts) and other organic grains (millet, quinoa, etc..) He gets fresh fruit as well and has his normal favs. I did however buy a new dry mix for one of my new additions and he has gotten his beak into it! It's goldenfeast madagascar as well as the carribean bounty and hookbill legume. If he is developing food sensitivity is it just a matter or ruling out the culprit or is this something tests would show?

What is his diet? It is possible he is developing a food allergy.

tailsoflove

Real Name
Dawn
Yes, it has gotten cooler and the heater has been on a bit more lately. However, I have always turned on the heater when it was chilly and he has never had this problem. I will however go out today and get a humidifier and see if that helps at all. I am hoping it's just a case of dry/itchy skin. Would dander from another bird cause itching? I have a grey who obviously has alot of feather dust but just got an alexandrine which also has alot of dust/dander..could the excess dander be causing this? :chin:

Has it been cooler outside? Are you using a heater?

I recommend getting a humidifier to use during the autumn and winter months. This really helps seasonal pickers/pluckers. As sometimes birds pluck/pick/feather chew because their skin becomes dried out and itchy (this is due to using any type of heater, as it will suck out the moisture from the air).

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Is he any where near the new bird????
He might not like him and having someone new in the house might cause stress to him...
Food allergies can come on even with foods you have been given him....change of where they were grown/soil conditions/etc can have an effecet on the foods some...:hug8:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I did however buy a new dry mix for one of my new additions and he has gotten his beak into it! It's goldenfeast madagascar as well as the carribean bounty and hookbill legume.
That's probably the culprit. The GF Madagascar Delight and Caribbean Bounty is filled with sulfur dioxide treated fruits and vegetables. The fruits are also sugar infused.

I hope you see improvement soon.

Red Jasper

Real Name
Elizabeth
Hi Dawn (Elizabeth here)

I would really suggest you get Treeko a full blood workup, including testing for the heavy diseases like chlamydophila, polyomavirus, pbfd, giardia, fecal exams and others Dr. Lisa can recommend to you.

There is something going on that is causing him do this -- it's been well over the period of time where he would have gotten into some food and had it filter through his system. If you'd like, I can go with you but I'm getting worried that with his feather pulling and barbering there might be an underlying cause that we're not seeing. Give me a call and let me know what you think...

Status
Not open for further replies.