• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ekkie hormone implant

jql

Checking out the neighborhood
my 3 year old boy is unhappy. his hormones are making him miserable. i wish someone had warned me about this! i do not think theses guys should be pets at all
but since my beloved bird has had the misfortune to be born, not in the jungle where he can fly and mate and forage
i don’t know what to do
someone suggested hormone implants. i’ve heard that, at least here in the USA they can be $500 a pop.
and they need to be replaced after a year????
help!!!
we’re so bonded. he was on baby food when i got him.
SUCH a sweet boy right up until his hormones attacked us.
then the screaming, biting, general frustration.
one day he sat in the window yelling his name: CORey!!! COREy!!!
i started to cry.
his confusion and loneliness are so awful to watch.we had so many games and he was such a joyful boy!
no more. the games disappoint him, i can see it: they used to be fun but now they aren’t.
i understand. i remember adolescence and my obsession with boys.i couldn’t concentrate on many things, either.
but at least there was an end in sight, at least to the intensity of it. eventually we can think about something else.
people talk about diet. not too much fruit or protein
he LOVES his fruit, especially the tropical fruits
ok no protein rich foods. but then he’s molting and i’m told he needs extra protein to grow new feathers! which explains why they didn’t come in right.
people say:
don’t cuddle him. don’t pet below the neck.
well, how was he supposed to understand why his mama didn’t let him sleep on her chest for a bit before bed, when this was our special time since he was a baby?
i could see how bad he felt, how confused.
i WISH i could release him into the wild! let him come and go as he pleases but i cant
are hormone implants the answer? do they work?
i want my boy back!
but no way i can afford that. is there any fund or organization which might help?
we can’t go on like this. i want what’s best for him AND me.
will i have to rehome him? get him a wealthy home where they can afford hormone shots or implants?
we are both SO unhappy.
HELP

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
It is very common for Ekkies to go through extremely hormonal years (starts about 1-2 years and last quite a long time).
You are a bonded pair- so he will show aggression, agitation and frustration. Hormones shots in ekkies are not an option- I guess I can help.... but lets start online. First and foremost, calm yourself, ekkies who have bonded to a human will react to your state of mind.

Lots of care needs to be taken to ensure you have a amazing relationship for the next 40 years- which is completely REALISTIC!
Have you done any target training? clicker training? recall training? It sounds already like you got some very bad advice...

What is the current diet?
(foraging, toys, main diet)

Can you take a photo of the enclosure?

Do you have a photo of your ekkie now?

... these questions will assist in finding a way to make this stage manageable. It can be small changes that make a huge difference in both of your lives.

Last edited:

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Oh, I'm sorry you're both having a tough time. Keep in mind that that as you figure your way through this you will come upon new ways to interact and have fun. The relationship is still there, just changing. Even the bonding I got to do has changed over just 6 months, but we're learning new ways to interact. Pam Clark has very reasonably priced consults, and our mythic55 is very experienced with ekkies in particular.

Keep faith! Hold space for him to interact in new ways, and cherish the times he chooses those old special interactions.