• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eggs

RatKave

Strolling the yard
I have canaries, and they have started to breed. They laid their first egg sometime this week (It was on the bottom of the cage and I noticed it yesterday). I have not seen another egg yet. They had a nest build, so I put the egg in there in hopes that she incubates it and does not keep laying. Theres two girls in there, and they are both sitting on the egg, but I think its the female of the breeding pair. (Shes on the egg more often, buts she still is only on it when she want to be on it).

So the problem is... The breeding pair is half siblings:confused: and I don't have enough room to separate them.(Working on it thought) Is there anything I can do to reduce breeding (I don't want to remove the nest, I'm afraid of egg binding) and what can I do to stop the egg from hatching.(I don't have dummy eggs and she won't sit on marbles. I just don't want her to lay to many eggs. She laid 6 last year in a single batch...)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Firstly, the risk of egg-binding is not increased by removing the nest. Lack of exercise, poor diet, and inadequate calcium (or vitamin D) is linked to higher risk. Removing nest locations actually helps to REDUCE egg-binding, because if there are no suitable locations, your bird is less likely to get hormonal and start laying or continue to lay eggs. Another risk factor for egg-binding is excessive or continuous egg-laying, since this can quickly deplete calcium levels, resulting in soft shelled eggs that are more likely to get stuck. This can happen when a captive bird is encouraged to breed all year round instead of stopping after one or two atempts. You can discourage breeding by changing a bird's environment and diet.

If you have pet canaries, they do not need access to a nest for health or comfort. You only need to provide a nest to birds when you want to encourage them to breed.

To reduce egg laying in the future, I recommend purchasing a set of "dummy eggs". These are small plastic eggs designed to replace eggs. They come in many different sizes for different species. When the bird lays an egg, remove the fertile egg and replace it with a dummy egg or multiple dummy eggs. In most cases, the female will accept the new eggs and may even stop laying more eggs while she waits for the dummy eggs to hatch. Repeat as necessary, checking for newy laid eggs every couple of days until she abandons the nest. This may take several weeks or up to a month, depending on how determined she is.

If you can't find or don't have time to wait for dummy eggs, a simple solution is to remove the fertile egg, boil it to prevent further development, mark it with an X and put it back in the nest. The boiled egg will not hatch so it can be used like a dummy egg to discourage additional egg laying. Check every few days for unmarked eggs and repeat the process until the female abandons the nest. Discard the boiled eggs after no longer than one month.

If you are lucky, you will only need to worry about eggs a few times a year, during the breeding season. Remember to provide a high protien diet rich in calcium and vitamin D while the bird is laying. Many of the health problems related to pet birds laying eggs are directly related to an inadequate diet that does not provide enough support. Making eggs is hard work and it can put a strain on a pet bird's resources, especially if it is already dealing with other health issues. Breeders will typically offer extra nutritional items to help them, like eggfood or liquid calcium supplements. Double-check that your female canaries are getting enough calcium.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The breeding pair is half siblings:confused: and I don't have enough room to separate them.(
I have a full sibling pair of bonded lovebirds. They were from the same clutch and just stayed together when they matured. I didn´t force them apart because they are happy, so I remove all eggs they lay for obvious reasons. I switch them for dummy eggs. As an alternative to dummy eggs, boiling the egg, allowing to cool down and then putting it back where you found it is a perfect solution.

RatKave

Strolling the yard
Thank you for your help. So far theres only one egg.

I checked on it this morning, to candle it and see if it needed boiling. But the bird decided to remove the issue of babies herself. She pecked a hole in the egg and ate the white, leaving the yolk. She chucked it out of the nest a few hours ago. (Wanted to get a replacement before taking it away).

I don't know if I should remove the nest, she still tries to nest without it. If I dont supply nesting material she chews up her fabric perch, and I don't want feet caught in the chewed rope. She also tries to take feathers from the other girl for the nest if theres no material.

I give them pellets and calcium blocks, egg and Vitamin D. I've heard that calcium rich foods encourage breeding though. (I've also heard not to give mush food as it simulates food given to and received by mates and food given to chicks)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Next time, forget candling, just boil the eggs when you find them.

You may find that pellets supplemented with fresh greens and unfiltered sunlight is all your bird needs without egg and all the other stuff. You can also talk to your vet about a supplement for the water if they think she's lacking in something.

RatKave

Strolling the yard
Okay. Is the egg eating chronic or is it just because she did not like the egg?

I give fresh greens often and she's near a window. I rotate veggies and sometimes give vitamin supplements and millet.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It could be because she's a novice. See what happens with eggs in the future.

RatKave

Strolling the yard
She's two, she had a bath last year and didn't eat anyone. I'll wait and see, I want to make sure she's done her first brood so I can remove the nest. I don't want her nesting on the floor.