• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eggs

Spooky30

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordan
My birds been sitting on her eggs for more than 3 weeks can I take them away

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
What kind of bird do you have?

Are any of your birds male?

When exactly did they first start incubating the eggs?

Spooky30

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordan
What kind of bird do you have?

Are any of your birds male?

When exactly did they first start incubating the eggs?
I have one bird she is a cocktail and I do not and I’m not sure exactly when she started sitting on them I just know it’s been way longer than 3 weeks

Spooky30

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordan
I have one bird she is a cocktail and I do not and I’m not sure exactly when she started sitting on them I just know it’s been way longer than 3 weeks
*cockatiel

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Yes, it would be okay to remove the eggs at this time.

Since she is a solo bird, there's no risk of them being fertile and close to hatching. The usual incubation period for cockatiels is 18 to 21 days so she has had plenty of time on them and should be ready to move on. There is some risk that she will resume laying after the eggs are removed, because she wants to try again. To reduce this risk, I would pull the eggs, then rearrange the cage by moving around perches and toys. If she has any nest boxes or other enclosed nest-like toys, I would remove them at the same time. They aren't necessary and can encourage more egg-laying.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Destiny gave you great advice :) You could also add a new toy after rearranging the cage, and adding some foraging activities.

Spooky30

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordan
Yes, it would be okay to remove the eggs at this time.

Since she is a solo bird, there's no risk of them being fertile and close to hatching. The usual incubation period for cockatiels is 18 to 21 days so she has had plenty of time on them and should be ready to move on. There is some risk that she will resume laying after the eggs are removed, because she wants to try again. To reduce this risk, I would pull the eggs, then rearrange the cage by moving around perches and toys. If she has any nest boxes or other enclosed nest-like toys, I would remove them at the same time. They aren't necessary and can encourage more egg-laying.
She resumed egg laying after I took them out and moved stuff around

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
She resumed egg laying after I took them out and moved stuff around
They do that sometimes. Tiels get nesty and it feels like there’s nothing you can do. Keep rearranging and be annoying. Did you lower the daylight hours by covering the cage?
The danger is that they become chronic egg layers, which really depletes their calcium, and exhausts them. Be sure to give her vitamins + a calcium supplement.
So back to the light. I actually just removed the light altogether from my cockatiels cage, and that was enough to stop her laying.
The other thing some people swear by is putting the light ON for 24-48 hours.

Reactions: tka

Spooky30

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordan
I have lowered the daylight hours and when she is done sitting on these I will rearrange her cage again