• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

EGGS!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I love the top right one! The yellow line down the back is gorgeous!

Congrats! Do you sell the ones you don't hold back?

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Reactions: Ali

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Have you tried scenting?

not with a real rat, no. I've talked to a couple of breeders and they told me to keep trying and see. I've had ball pythons before, i've had picky eaters & hatchlings before. But I've never had a picky hatchling so it's a little frustrating.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
not with a real rat, no. I've talked to a couple of breeders and they told me to keep trying and see. I've had ball pythons before, i've had picky eaters & hatchlings before. But I've never had a picky hatchling so it's a little frustrating.
Good luck. How long has it been? Do you feed live instead?

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I picked it up august 15th. He ate f/t that night but has refused the last 2 meals. Last weekend and last night. I was going to try live, but a few breeders I talked with told me to wait another week or two and see if he would take them.

They normally will not starve themselves so I'm not too worried, but at the same time, he is still a baby and that part makes me worried

QuakerCraz

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
I picked it up august 15th. He ate f/t that night but has refused the last 2 meals. Last weekend and last night. I was going to try live, but a few breeders I talked with told me to wait another week or two and see if he would take them.

They normally will not starve themselves so I'm not too worried, but at the same time, he is still a baby and that part makes me worried
Wait a week and then offer. With hatchings or young babies, you need to be patient. THey are much better with live so offer live. They are more likely to take live. Offer a mouse as they should be on mice for a while till they get big enough to take a small weaned rat(about 500-600 grams). THey should eat every 5 days if they are babies and once they get to the 500-600 gram weight, then they can move to a every 7 day feeding. It gives them a strong start and they grow like they should. If they are being stubborn about eating, set a feeding schedule and offer a live mouse on that feeding day and leave it in for at least 10 minutes. Cover the enclosure up. Leave them alone. Don't look back in till after 10 minutes. If the mouse is still there, they aren't gonna eat, if it's gone, check if its hiding and if it's truly gone, they ate. Either the movement of the mouse will entice it's hunting instincts or the mouse will just annoy it enough to want to eat it to get rid of it. I've done this with most of my guys and it generally works.

Reactions: Ali