• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eggs? What do I do?

airriana c

Moving in
Real Name
airriana chitwood
So, my female is going to have eggs soon. They will be fertile, but I'm not sure what to do when they hatch. I want to let my male and female take care of them by themselves. But where should they do it ? Do they need to have a separate box or can they do it in the cage? Also I would like to sell the eggs, do I have to wean the babies by myself? Or just wait until like 8-10 weeks for them to be able to go? I really want them to have a good go at life but I'm worried I'm not cut out for what it'll come with. I really need help haha.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Because you are inexperienced, it's best not to breed them at all. I would keep them separate, otherwise you're just setting the birds (and yourself) up for failure.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Give the eggs a quick boil so they don't hatch and then leave them on the bottom of the cage in a shoe box lid or paper plate until your birds get bored with them. Don't provide a nest box. There is so much more to breeding birds than throwing a male and female together and giving them a place to lay and making cash off the babies. A good breeder can tell you it's not easy to raise birds and, after the cost of all the food and supplies and veterinarian care and hours poured into raising the chicks, there's really no money in it at all.

Give yourself a good ten years or so of bird experience and research and then revisit the idea of breeding if you still think it's a good one. I'll warrant that you won't.

Just cherish and enjoy the birds you have already and focus on learning all you can and giving them the best life.