• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eggs don’t hatch

Charli

Moving in
Real Name
Cris
Hi

I got my love birds in 2020. Got no idea how old they are. The past 9 months we’ve received how many eggs I’ve lost count. She lays between 6-9 eggs, looks after them until they close to hatch and them scattered them all over and the eggs get cold and die. We’ve only had 2 eggs hatch but the one didn’t make it.
How can I tell how old are my birds and why does mamma bear lose interest in her eggs?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Cris,

The past 9 months we’ve received how many eggs I’ve lost count.
This could be the problem.
If she is over-laying then she could be too tired to sit a full incubation period. Especially with the having clutches on the larger side.

Be sure than when she´s done with a clutch, you are discouraging egg laying and nesting behaviour so she can be a bird for a few months before allowing her to lay again. Your aim would be 2-3 clutches per year.

Also, double check that she is happy with the nest box. That it is clean for her to build her nest in and a good size.

Charli

Moving in
Real Name
Cris
Thank you for your response. Should I remove the nest to give her some time?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If she´s not currently sitting on eggs, remove the box. Rearrange her cage, moving perches and toys. Increase foraging activites available and lower shreddable toys - for desctructable toys go for chippy pine, sola, mahogany pods, cork and avoid dried palm leaf (like a lot of PP toys), as well as popsicle sticks, paper etc

Give her a couple of months to recharge and rest. Cover her cage for 12 hours every night and let the parents get some undisturbed sleep.

Once a couple of months have passed, you can introduce some shreddables that can be used as nest material (popsicle sticks, paper, cardboard, millet spray), put the nest box back in, and offer a longer ¨day¨, so less time covered for bedtime.

We’ve only had 2 eggs hatch but the one didn’t make it.
If you get more chicks in the future, be sure to check in on them and if they aren´t being fed, pull them for hand rearing. Often it is the cause of death for very young chicks in the nest.

What do your birds eat?

Charli

Moving in
Real Name
Cris
Thank you I’ll remove her nest and re arrange the cage. They love fresh veg so I give carrots, celery which is there favorite. I give them egg food and then normal seeds. I got them because I love birds, didn’t get them to breed with them.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would hold back on egg food until you are ready to let them breed again. If you have pellets available where you live (or online) it would be a good idea to incorporate them into their diet.

I got them because I love birds, didn’t get them to breed with them.
So, do you want to breed them?
If you don´t actually want to breed them, then don´t put the nest box back in, and when you find eggs on the cage floor, boil, allow to cool and put back. Let her sit on them for a max of 21 days before removing and rearranging the cage as you remove all the eggs.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You´re welcome :)