• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

egg

razer

Meeting neighbors
I went to put my babies to bed and one of them (I now know is a female) would not come down off the cabenit. I looked up there and found an egg. Guess they lay eggs without doing it. I boiled the egg and put it in the cage. My question is how many more will she lay. I dont want anymore birds. I have the mommy and 2 babies. Will she lay more in the sme place or in the cage where I put the boiled egg back.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
She'll likely lay them in the place she sees as a nest. They definitely can lay eggs with a mate :) What kind of bird is she? Generally most smaller species will lay 3 to 5 eggs.

razer

Meeting neighbors
She is a 9 momth old cocatiel. The male has tried to mate with the mother not her.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Nice to hear you are boiling the eggs this time. I´ve moved this thread to the new Egg forum (Egg layers expressway) for better visibility.

She might return to the cabinet to lay if she laid there before, but it´s impossible to know. Just have a check up there daily in case there are any new eggs and give it a boil. Eggs are laid approx. 24-48 apart.

I will tag some ´tiel owners who may have some more advice :)
@Tiel Feathers @Monica @finchly @Birdbabe

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My tiel lays one every other day, and many. :( If you move the eggs she might just keep laying to replace them. So you might want to keep her in the cage so that she makes a nest in there, or put them back where she laid them. Silly bird.

On the other hand, if you’re shaking things up by moving them - maybe she will stop. That is one way to stop them, rearrange the cage, move perches, and so on.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I have a 19, going on 20 year old cockatiel! She never figured out the birds and the bees! Knows how to lay eggs... doesn't know how to sit on them! It's an extremely foreign concept to her! :laugh:

Sad really... cause she's had at least a few times to see how things 'work' (as far as mating goes...) but... ya know.... perches and dishes make a girl happy! :facepalm: :rofl:

NOT that I'm complaining! :lol:

If she sees the top of the cupboard as a place to nest, then you need to completely restrict access to that area as much as possible! Can you put any wood or plexiglass up to block the area?

Having the egg in the cage may or may not encourage her to lay her eggs there and/or become hormonal/sit on them.

razer

Meeting neighbors
she only laid 1 egg in the past 48 hours. I have not seen anymore anywhere. She is only 9 months old and has not mated withany other ird.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Give it at least a week.

Although they do typically lay once every 2 days, it could be more like 2-3 days in between.

If after a week, she doesn't lay another egg, then keep access to the cupboard area off limits and change around the cage. You might be lucky and be able to remove her current egg.