• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

egg questions?

Ifrit

Strolling the yard
Hi,

I'm new to having a budgie girl, I have only had boys until recently. Any advice on how to tell if my girl will lay eggs? What to do if she does? What to do if she doesnt? If she needs any special care that is different from my males (seperate cages, there is no breeding atm)

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I have two female budgies and two males. I have never offered them a nest box, or anything that they could take as a nest such as a happy hut. I've never had an issue with my females laying eggs.

Are you planning on breeding?

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
We had budgies growing up, and my mom still has one. I'm not sure how who was male or female, but there was only one who tried to lay an egg. Despite taking her to a vet, we lost her to egg binding. With my pigeons, I replace their eggs with fakes - not sure if this works with budgies as well.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have a male and female English budget in the same cage. No nest. They have not mated. I am prepared with dummy eggs.

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
You can use dud/fake eggs to prevent any oops clutches. If you're afraid they'll get broody with a little lady around, you can make some changes to their environment to discourage mating behaviour: RP - Mating

If she ever does start nesting, like hanging out a lot in covered perches, tents, under newspaper... just generally hiding in places for long periods of time (but not ill), vent looking bigger, she may get nippy or cranky, those can be signs of nesting. If she does start laying eggs, make sure she's getting enough calcium since hens require quite a bit to form eggs.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No way to tell for sure when a female bird will start laying or even if she ever will. Some do, some don't. I'd keep an especially close eye on her if she does start laying as parakeets are prone to egg binding, as are other birds like lovebirds and cockatiels. I've known people who have lost birds to it, and I lost a cockatiel to complications from it myself. :( (That was so horrible. She died in surgery. I wonder if she would have lived if I had known about Dr. Clubb then.) If she does start laying, I've heard calcium supplements are supposed to help.

Oh, and the birds I know of that started laying didn't have nest boxes, nesting material, or mates.

Ifrit

Strolling the yard
thanks everyone. I'm not planning on breeding this year, but down the road I'm considering it. I jussst brought her home so I wouldnt do that to any bird right away. I wanted to learn about it first.

Also, I'm still confused about the whole egg process anyway. It's a random thing? Is there an age when it happens if its going to?

How would you breed parakeets when the time comes?

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
I wouldn't call it a random thing. I believe budgies are sexually mature around 7 or 8 months, so if she's young, keep that in mind. Fortunately with budgies, you have the cere to get a general idea of their condition. Females with pale purpley blue ceres are not in breeding condition. As the cere turns a more red or brown colour, it means she's getting into breeding condition, in which case you can try reducing the environmental triggers to snap her out of it. Daylight is probably the easiest and most influential factor to manipulate, but an excess of food and the amount of environmental changes can also help.

Ifrit

Strolling the yard
She is mature as far as I know, brown crusty cere and her stripes are farther from her beak now on her head.... the store said she had been there for a little while.

What do you mean about environmental factors? Can you explain a bit further for me please?

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
Budgies are EXTREMELY opportunistic breeders but they don't lay eggs unless they either find a nest (not necessarily a box, they will use any kind of cavity they find) or if they are overly hormonal from not keeping them to the seasons - which is where the 'environmental factors' come in. These are the number of hours they are exposed to light and the richness of their diet so, if you expose them to a human light schedule (lights on before sunrise and after sunset) and feed them too much protein, they will breed all year round -which is the reason why lots of people say that they are meant to breed all year round when, in reality, it's not so.

Please think about breeding them very carefully. It's not as easy as people assume it is (I took in several budgies that had terribly splayed legs from a hobbyist breeder who did not know enough) and both baby birds and mother can die from the breeder's lack of knowledge PLUS these are considered 'throw-away' birds (I took in budgies that had been put out with the garbage) so there is a HUGE overpopulation of them (people give them out for free in CL all the time). Keeping birds is a wonderfully rewarding experience but it needs to be done responsibly and put their needs before our desires.

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
Environmental factors are pretty much just summarizing the link I posted above to the "RP - Mating" page, but I can definitely elaborate. Generally these are the things you can control within your home:

- Daylight. Birds are diurnal, so the more daylight and waking hours they see, the warmer the climate would be getting. Spring and summer means longer days and shorter nights, as well as more warmth and more vegetation and growth. These are all things that are beneficial when caring for babies, and it's wired into them that more light means better breeding conditions. This is why a lot of people cover their birds for 10-12 hours a day so they get "darkness", but in more extreme cases, some birds may spend 18 or more hours covered or in the dark to break them of broody behaviour.

- Food. This is a bit iffy, because you would have to know how much your specific birds eat so you're not restricting or starving them. If there is a great excess of food, as would be present in spring and summer seasons for what birds eat, it would tell them there's enough to sustain babies too. What I do is measure out how much my birds eat (my lovebirds are around 60-65 grams, and they get 1.5 teaspoons of pellets plus some dried vegetables, and then seeds for foraging that are scattered around their cages, and they receive sprouts and fresh greens each day - the only measurement I am strict with is the 1.5 teaspoons/day in their actual food bowl since the other sources of food aren't always a guaranteed find if hidden well and whatnot) and give them a bit extra in case I can't change their food at the same time the next day so it's enough, but not a ton. Ensure that regardless of breeding season that all of your birds have enough to eat, and that they are receiving a good and balanced diet, as dietary needs vary from species to species.

- Changes. If they're in their cages frequently and see the same toys and perches all the time, it will look like a stable environment. Stable is both good and bad. If you're bringing home a new bird, they need to adjust themselves to your routine and become accustomed to their new home. However, when they are comfortable and other breeding triggers come around, something that's good to do is change up the cage often. I do this every week, just take every perch and toy out of every cage for cleaning and load the cage up with different toys and perches in different positions. They still know it's home, but it's "unstable". Something that is constantly changing isn't a good place to raise young, especially considering how vulnerable baby birds are. They can't have their nest being messed with all the time if they expect to have babies there!

Also, I personally don't use hidey holes, happy huts, or tented perches because I think they provide too much of a nesty feel (and the soft materials also give the birds something to hump :facepalm:). If she finds an area in her cage that could provide some seclusion and let her create a nest in them, remove the object. If any of the birds start getting territorial or too attached to any specific toys, this is when the toy rotation comes in handy. You should take those toys away if you want to discourage mating behaviour.

Guardiavoir

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joanna
Also, I personally don't use hidey holes, happy huts, or tented perches because I think they provide too much of a nesty feel (and the soft materials also give the birds something to hump :facepalm:)..
Certainly gives a different meaning to "happy hut", eh? :rolleyes:
*groans*

RAMONES1234

Moving in
I saw 2 of my keets "breeding" on Monday, and today I very sadly found her this morning, she passed overnight. She was fine last night. I don't know what happened, I always have mineral blocks and cuttlebones in my cages. I feel so terrible. Poor little hen.