• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Egg number 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaceyRead

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lacey
mango layed another egg!, found it in her foraging cup again

She has throw/ tossed the first one out, should I place it back in the cup or leave it beside it where is landed?

Also, no efforts to sit on this egg that I have noticed yet

Hope everyone is having a good holiday!

Jorg S.

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jorg S
You can get rid of that first one as she threw it out and abandoned it.
She must have sensed that it was no good.

vmorrison

Meeting neighbors
You can get rid of that first one as she threw it out and abandoned it.
She must have sensed that it was no good.
I respectfully have to disagree with this suggestion. Egg #1 isn't good or no good. It's not even started to develop yet, as the hen's brood patch has not reached proper incubating temperature. It's quite possible that it accidentally slipped out of the foraging cup and I would return it. Tossing the egg could easily encourage her to lay extra eggs to replace the one/ones that you throw away.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
I would keep the eggs until she is completely bored with them. If she was bored she would have not laid a second one. Let her keep them for a while.

vmorrison

Meeting neighbors
She is my only bird, the eggs are not fertile
Still put it back?
Yes, put it back. It's HER egg, fertile or not, and she will defend it with her very life if necessary. Most lovie hens are attentive to their eggs until about 25 days after the last egg of the clutch is laid. Typical clutch can be anywhere from 4-8 eggs, occasionally one or two more than that even. Depends on the individual hen.

Status
Not open for further replies.