• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Egg laying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
One of the cockatiels I'm adopting has a history of excessive egg laying. I've never had a bird with this problem; Finnegan was laying while she was at the rescue, but she hasn't laid a single egg here.

This new girl had a Lupron shot about six weeks ago. Will that shot take care of the situation for the remainder of this year? Should I be getting some fake eggs to "give" her if she starts laying again?

As I said, I'm a novice about this, so anything you can share would be helpful. If there's already a thread on this, I apologize. I know I also need to educate myself so that I can recognize egg binding and other problems that may come up.

ellimaye

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ellie
:bump4::anyone: Hopefully, you'll get some really good advice on this when more members are on here! :) I'm interested in reading what people have to say...

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yes, try to get some false eggs just in case one breaks you can buy them at birdsupplynh.com you must leave the eggs in the cage at least25-30 days until she abandons...do not take out before as she will lay to replace...The lupron shot should last her until the next hormonal period...however, you need to do things now to prevent, or try to prevent any future egg laying...shake up her world...12-14 hours night, new toys, new perches or at least move them all around..the shake up of moving to your place might just be enough...if you see her masturbating distract distract distract...limit her intake of soft warm foods...all eggs must be round same size and white....any diff in size or shell texture means she is lacking calcium and must have a calcium supplement i.e. calci boost which you can order also on line...the shake up worked for Mitch and she stopped however my Sam here is unstoppable...sigh..so good luck and bless you for taking her in...oh and provide cuttlebone at all times..

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Thank you both - this is what I was looking for. I want to be prepared, rather than scrambling at the last minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.