• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Egg laying

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
My linnie started laying eggs about two weeks ago. Found out that both my linnies are female. After a week they both started laying eggs. Now there are 9 eggs of their own and two fake ones (my vet told me to add fake eggs in the hope it would stop the egg laying proces, to make her think she has a full nest, did this when there were only 4 eggs in the box). They are both sitting on the eggs together at the same time. When one goes to drink or eat the other one sits on all the eggs. Chip goes off the eggs a little more than Nuka. They are not fighting over the eggs.

Is there anything I should watch out for or put in for extra care. Like put a bowl of food in the nestbox? Or anything else?

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
If they are both females, I personally would remove the nestbox altogether since there's no good use for it. Not offering a box or nesting stuff might help curb the egg laying.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
If they are both females, I personally would remove the nestbox altogether since there's no good use for it. Not offering a box or nesting stuff might help curb the egg laying.
Put the nestbox in cause she/ they were laying eggs all over the place. In the cage but also in our beds if they were out. After I put the nest box in that stopped.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have we talked about shortening their day? When Gigi became hormonal last spring, I was advised to put her to bed earlier and it worked. I have continued her new schedule of 12 hours lights out. 7PM-7AM

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When my U2 does this we keep the blinds drawn, give her the eggs she laid, plus some fake ones & keep her in the dark as much as possible. Sometimes she'll sit on them for a few weeks. Other times she gives them up after a few days. The point is to get their brain to trigger hormones into thinking the bird(s) need to stop laying. They need to be put where they can be in a quiet place & in the dark at least 12 hours.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
yeah, when mine are out i cover my bed (and soft chair seat) with something that they don't like to burrow in or scratch on. They still run around on them but aren't stimulated.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Have we talked about shortening their day? When Gigi became hormonal last spring, I was advised to put her to bed earlier and it worked. I have continued her new schedule of 12 hours lights out. 7PM-7AM
I tried, but most the days the blanket over their cage scares them so instead of them falling asleep at 8pm they would be up till 10 or 11 pm or even sometimes 1 am.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you have a spare room or dark quiet area in your home you can move the cage to?

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Do you have a spare room or dark quiet area in your home you can move the cage to?
Nope, doesn't get any darker or quiter in the house than inside my room :/