• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Egg laying

ryry23

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ryan
I have a pair of lovebirds for probably around 2-3 years already. Female bird has hatched fertile eggs for I think around 4-5 clutches. She have had around 12-15 baby birds already.

Lately, she has been laying infertile eggs like around 3 clutches already. (I give her time to rest and remove the nest box from inside the cage).

Does anybody know what causes this? Is it her age? Thanks in advance!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Ryan :)

Have you checked their perches are not loose?
Are they still mating?

ryry23

Real Name
Ryan
Thank you!

Perches a little loose :(. She has 6 infertile eggs right now, which are maybe almost 3 weeks old.

So you think the age of the bird does not matter? I can't remember how old's the female lovebird was when I got her.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Age of the bird can matter. I found my female parrotlets stopped laying fertile eggs at around 5 or 6 years old. Even my female that only had two clutches in her younger life stopped producing fertile eggs at around 5 years old. My female cockatiels would stop producing fertile eggs at around 11 or 12 if memory serves. I'm sure its different for all birds and different species. I found it odd that they would still lay, just not fertile. Even if they were still having sex with their mate. Supposedly uterine infections and vitamin deficiencies can also cause this. Maybe a vet check is in order. Make sure your females get a good rest period. If she has had several clutches back to back, she may need 6 months off to take a break. It might be time to remove the box and try to discourage laying so she can rest.

ryry23

Real Name
Ryan
Thank you for this information. Very informative. Ill take out the nest box and have her rest for around 6 months or so.