• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Egg laying question

Rio&Molly19

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chelsey
My cockatiel started laying eggs late Friday night. Then laid a soft shell egg Sunday morning. Well I threw away the soft shell egg because it was damaged.. and the first egg got broken open :( I thought she was due to lay another yesterday but no egg. She doesnt have any symptoms of egg binding. Shes been given calcium powder in her food and eating nutritional foods. Should I be worried or no? I feel so sad that both her babies were damaged.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
JMHO get her to avian vet asap. Make sure she is getting enough calcium, other then cuttlebone. Mineral blocks will help but she needs to see a avian vet please.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:iagree:
Calcium is fine but is she getting vitamin D3, either as a supliment or through fortified food? Definitely agree, a vet visit is overdue.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Should I be worried or no?
Yes. You should take your bird to see a vet like many advised you on your last thread: Dented egg..help please | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I feel so sad that both her babies were damaged.
They weren´t babies, they were eggs. Similar to me and you having our periods.

I hope your bird will be ok. They are such sensitive creatures, something you may think is minor, could end up being the death of them.
Please take her to see the vet and let us know how you get on ❤

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Yes. You should take your bird to see a vet like many advised you on your last thread
Good catch, never connected for me!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Is she acting nesty and have an egg bum? Should could just be done with laying for now, but it could also be stuck. Is she moving around, eating, playing and acting normally? The vet could at least help you improve her diet or recommend a supplement so she’s not deficient. Also, you should get some dummy eggs in case she lays again.

Rio&Molly19

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chelsey
Shes acting normal as she was before she laid eggs. I talked to the previous owner and she said molly never laid eggs before. As far as the vet, I just do not have the funds to take her yet. I have been calling around trying to find a low cost vet. And she is not acting sick or unusual. I get it people are gonna continue to tell me to get her to a vet. I will asap but right now is not a good time financially. I've gotten calcium powder, cottle bone, broccoli, seeds, hard boiled eggs and some left over birdy bread I made. I've cleaned their cage gave them fresh food and water. She doesnt appear to have egg bum or look a little heavier. I'm hoping she just laid 2 eggs and called it quits. But her and Rio have been mating again. I wanna separate them but they've been together for years now and they freak out if they arent near eachother. I just didnt know if it was normal for cockatiels to only lay 2 eggs.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Do you have a friend? A family member? A work colleague?

Borrow the money.

Money will come and go, and come and go... But that bird is only here now.

If it were your child you would be scrambling, desperate to find the cash, why is the bird any different?
Remember, the birds didn´t choose you, you chose them. They can´t just leave and go see the vet themselves.
We have to do what is right by them, we owe it to them.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I wanna separate them but they've been together for years now and they freak out if they arent near eachother
You have to stop the mating. The only way to do that is separate them. The least stressful way of doing that is 2 cages side by side, as close as they can be. I know it kinda tugs at the heart strings but you've got to get tough and do it. They WILL Settle.
Isn't there some kind of charity you can go to like the PDSA, or the Humane Society? I'm sure there will be some way for you to get her the attention she needs.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
As @Ripshod mentioned, it might be best to have them in separate cages side by side so she isn’t stimulated to lay eggs. Also, cuttle bones are not really good sources of calcium, so I would look into a supplement.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
If I couldn’t afford it, I would ask family for a loan. A soft egg is a big warning sign. If you don’t weigh your birds you won’t even know if there’s an egg inside or not.

Kale has some calcium, and is probably the best leafy green you can feed. This bird needs calcium injection from vet at this point .

Last edited: