• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Egg Laying Period

Nadine

Meeting neighbors
Hi,,I am wondering if anyone can tell me how long the egg laying period lasts?
Smokey hasn’t laid an egg in 4 days so I am thinking maybe it’s over:)
She seems to be almost back to her normal self,,following me around. I just don’t want to take the egg away before I should and she starts all over again....no,no,no..lol
The egg is in her bed but she doesn’t sit on it,,she does check on it sometimes though.
Any advice is appreciated as I have zero experience in the whole egg laying thing.
Also,,as I was sold Smokey as being male,,now my other linnie Bandit is acting hormonal and is being very vocal when he sees Smokey. UGH

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hens do not start to sit on/incubate their eggs until the full clutch is laid (however many that may be). I can take a week or more between eggs or as little as 1 every day depending on the bird. You didn't say how many eggs she has or if this was the only egg?

I always take the eggs away once the hen has consistently ignored (abandoned) them for a week but not after only one egg.

Nadine

Meeting neighbors
Hens do not start to sit on/incubate their eggs until the full clutch is laid (however many that may be). I can take a week or more between eggs or as little as 1 every day depending on the bird. You didn't say how many eggs she has or if this was the only egg?

I always take the eggs away once the hen has consistently ignored (abandoned) them for a week but not after only one egg.
She had her first egg May 8,,the second one May 10,,nothing since then. She doesn’t seem that interested anymore. I just did t want to remove eggs too soon. I really know very little about the whole process. I’ve been learning as much as I can,,triggers,,noises etc. Just not sure of next steps.

Nadine

Meeting neighbors
She had her first egg May 8,,the second one May 10,,nothing since then. She doesn’t seem that interested anymore. I just did t want to remove eggs too soon. I really know very little about the whole process. I’ve been learning as much as I can,,triggers,,noises etc. Just not sure of next steps.
I had to check calendar..lol. Last egg was definitely May 8

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
She's probably done with them then.