• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Egg Boundness: How common?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Maddie has been getting ready to lay an egg all week. I'm getting kind of worried because I know that Leslie's parrotlet Kiwi has been egg bound and had to go through surgery. So what I want to know is how common it is. I don't think she is quite ready to lay it yet, it hasn't dropped down; but I'm starting to get scared to go to work or leave her alone. :( Please give me some advice, I'd really appreciate it. :hug8:

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
So long as she's acting normally and most importantly, still pooping, all is well. If she starts acting depressed, having trouble eating, drinking, or perching, or can't poop normally she needs to go to the vet (even if it's 3 am and you have to wake up your neighbor and beg them to give you a ride to the emergency clinic). Sometimes keeping them in a warm room with high humidity can make it easier for them to pass an egg.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
If She has a healthy diet and access to cuttlebone and a mineral block,She should be fine:) Egg binding is really Not that common.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Thanks guys. I will have to get some calcium supplements as I don't give cuttlebones and mineral blocks (I've been told that as long as they are getting a healthy diet, they don't need these). It seems like she is getting closer to laying it. Her butt is getting really big now. She is still eating, drinking, and pooping (as well as flying and playing). Should I be encouraging her to nest?

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I think flying is a great thing for them so they can develop all the muscles in the body and hopefully you will get a good egg expulsion.

Is she cranky right now?

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Just wanted to say she laid it.
http://forums.avianavenue.com/feathered-photos-fairway/7167-maddies-egg-2.html
And no Kristy, her attitude really didn't change at all! She was out with me all morning before she laid it and I could see that she was a little more uncoordinated and clumsy (I guess it felt weird to walk with a giant egg in her belly), but other than that she was normal.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
So glad that she is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.