• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Egg bound or tumor???

Starburst7

Moving in
Real Name
Kelsey
Hi everyone!

My 9 year old female parrotlet has inflated abdomen. I noticed it earlier today when I head a “thump” and went over to her cage to check on her. When I picked her up her abdomen was soft, but swollen. She’s been egg bound before when she was around 4 or 5 and I used humidity, coconut oil and a shallow water bath and she passed the egg within half an hour. She hasn’t laid since and the previously mentioned tricks haven’t worked to assist with passing the egg. Could it be a tumor?? My avian vet isn’t in til tomorrow morning and he was gone when I noticed it so no veterinary help until tomorrow.

I’ve attached some pictures of her abdomen from different angles for reference. Please don’t mind that she’s plucked, she’s been that way since I’ve had her. She started plucking in her first home because of suspected neglect.

Thank you, I appreciate any insight!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thread moved to emergency forum for better visibility. Bump.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@Ripshod. I would be on my way to the nearest avian vet asap.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I think it's more likely she's egg bound - tumours would be seen long before they get this large.
She's clearly in a bad way. Keep up with the humidity and warm baths but she definitely needs a vet ASAP. Is there no emergency clinic nearby?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
How is your parrotlet doing today?