• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Egg Bound Cockatiel, Luke [GRAPHIC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
She said the egg was a single, soft shelled egg that had started to decompose in the uterus. She was a bit surprised that Luke did not become septic much earlier, but said that sometimes when an egg doesn't rupture, it will just sit and sit in there, undetected and unable to pass.
----------------------------------------------------------------

That is so great that Luke is looking alot better. She still has a long way to go, and even if she is to be spayed, diet and lighting still would have to be addressed. Lack of circulating calcium and phosphorus in the body can later result in seizures resulting from hypocalcemia. This happens more to males than females. So addressing the causes for her current problems have to be addressed so that she does not have other health related problems.

As to the actual egg itself, since it was in the uterus, the risks in septicemia are lower because the egg, though softshelled was intact, and the contents would be sterile. Plus the vascualr system of the oviduct is designed to feed fluids and minerals into the oviduct during the various stages of ovulation. Whereas if she had an ectopic egg, this could have caused septicemia. Wheras the vasular tissue in the abdomen and intestines would have became convulated (swollen) and absorbed harmful pathogens.

Note: When a hysterectomy or salpingectomy is done the hormonal feedback loop between uterus and ovary inhibits folliclular release of the oocytes (yolk sphere). Ovulation ususally stops when the oviduct has been removed...BUT egg yolk peritonitis is a rare postoperative incident. Prior to removing the oviduct she would need to be scoped to assure that the follicles are inactive.

FoxersArtist

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anna
Luke is doing wonderful today! Her mate has encouraged her to eat on her own and her energy has mostly returned to normal with just a few extra hours of napping. We have added bone meal to their diet as a supplement per the request of our vet. We will be keeping an extra close eye on Luke until her surgery next month.
-Anna

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Anna, I am so happy to read Luke is doing much better and eating on her own thanks to her encouraging mate!

I hope that she will continue to pull through all this and recover well. I will keep her in my thoughts & prayers. :hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
That is wonderful news!

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name