• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Egg Bound Cockatiel, Luke [GRAPHIC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxersArtist

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anna
All emergencies by nature must occur in the evening or late at night, especially on a weekend. Of course, the universe felt tonight was the perfect night for just such an emergency, as if we have not had enough of them as of late.

This afternoon when I was cleaning cages, I noticed that one of the cockatiels (Luke, Female) looked a little sleepy. I have noticed in the past that she likes to nap around that time in the afternoon, so although the way she looked set off a little alarm with me, I decided to keep an eye on her by checking back again this evening. While doing my usual feeding routine tonight, I noticed that she still didn't look good and decided to examine her more closely. When she turned around I caught a flash of blood on her vent which was of course, instantly alarming and required further investigation. I pulled her fresh papers out to examine poop and anything else that may be on the bottom of the cage to discover a decaying fertile egg that looked freshly laid. The hen had likely been eggbound for an impressive period of time (for the egg to be so decomposed) as it was dark brown, soft rubbery shell, and liquified, bloody insides. Like many hormonal cockatiels, she lays between two and three clutches of eggs a year (though we do not provide a way for her to incubate and so they are trampled), though she has not laid nearly enough this year for me to be overly concerned about lack of calcium. Egg binding of course, can occur at any time, but is more likely with a 'soft shell' egg due to diminished calcium in the body. This looks like it was likely a soft shelled egg that she never passed, but did not fully obstruct her ability to poop until recently (the last 24-48 hours).

My first thoughts were to get her some heat, antibiotics, and calcium. I was going to gavage feed her but once I pulled her out I realized that she was fully impacted. Her crop was full and she had a swollen abdominal cavity that looked like it might burst as well as a massive prolapse where it looked like some of the cloacal tissue had torn trying to pass the egg. Adding more food to the mix would probably make the situation more serious, so I opted out of the calcium-in-formula idea and stuck with an injectable antibiotic. Thankfully her blood sugar seemed stable and though she was breathing heavily, she is still has strength. I opted to try to replace the prolapse, which was sticking out about 1/2 inch and was able to gently put the entire thing back inside of her. It looked quite managled to me - but it was hard to tell what was tissue and what was residue from the egg. To our amazement, she had her first bowel movement a few minutes ago, and it only had a small amount of blood in it. It was watery, but otherwise somewhat normal looking. Her belly is still incredibly swollen. We have her resting in a little homemade ICU (aquarium and heating pad - since Katie is using the incubator) and of course I have a call in to my avian vet, who will likely call me in the morning.

Experienced breeders - if you have any other suggestions, that would be fantastic. I am hoping the antibiotics start working quickly to keep her from going septic.

I know we have asked for a lot of them lately, for little mallory and miss Katie Cockatoo, but any prayers for this little one would be greatly appreciated.

-Anna

Last edited:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
OH My!!!!!!!
Hopefully, Luke will begin to feel somewhat better but ?ing the swollen abdomen/impacted crop...Were you able to empty the crop?
Please let us know how she made it through the night!:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
how incredibly tragic...prayers and positive thoughts on the wa y...:hug8:

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
OH GOSH, how terrible! How's Luke doing today?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Billie Fay forwarded this: WHY is it posted here: Exit 3 - Macaw & Cockatoo Rescue of NM

The swollen abdomem sounds like peritonitis. The prolapse is a result of a softshelled egg...possibly a couple stacked upon each other.
The ONLY effective medication for peritonitis is Zosyn, which contains pipercillin and is injectable. Other medications may contribute to treatment failure...thus death.

What type of lighting do you have, especially if you have female birds? They NEED either exposure to real sunlight or exposure to Full Spectrum to Vita lights daily, which will also act as a prevenative to incidents like this, even if the hen is a chronic layer...at least the D3 absorbed obtained from the exposure to the lighting will help the body better utilize the calcium in the body.

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
I understand that in these situations the vet gives them a shot of a hormone. Of course it may be what SRTiels mentioned. Are you planning a visit to the doctor to evaluate her?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Also...you might consider dissolving 1 baby aspirin in 1 pint of water and using this for the drinking water. This will help, especially if there has been bleeding or circulating yolk so that a clot dosen't circulate in the system and go to the brain and cause a stroke or embolism.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
It would help id this thread was moved to 911. And also help if some good clear pix's were posted.

The first pix shows a hen with peritonitis. The 2nd pix shows a dead hen with very advanced peritonitis that went systemic. The skin is yellowed from the body trying to expell the yolk matter in the abdominal cavity.

In addition to the proper injectable antibiotics, the vet is going to have to put the hen on Lasix or a duiretic, AND also draw the fluids out of the abdomen.

Attachments

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Susanne very good photos, it is such a sad thing to loose them to this. I lost my own sweet Tiel because of this condition she stroked out and the ER vets helped her "pass over". :(

So very serious.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Great pictures Susanne...Thank you so much for posting them...it really helps when someone might see them and in the "future" realize their bird is in trouble....:hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I lost my own sweet Tiel because of this condition she stroked out
------------------------------------------
Most people do not know or realize the benefits of aspirin with our birds. it is great for pain, swelling, and is a great preventative for hens with reproductive problems and can eliminate or greatly reduce the risks of embolisms and strokes. If there is ANY internal bleeding suspected it is also wise to get the bird on asprin water. 1 baby aspirin or 1 cheap off brand tablet dissolved in a pint of water. Use this as the drinking water for several days.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Great pictures Susanne...Thank you so much for posting them...it really helps when someone might see them and in the "future" realize their bird is in trouble....:hug8:
--------------------------------------------

Over the years I have saved pix's from necropsys and deaths related to hens reproductive problems, and even have pix's of areas internally that can have infection. Many are very graphic.

It also took the loss of a couple hens to find out which meds were the most effective, and which weren't...thus I am not just slinging out suggestions for treatment, but first hand knowledge.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
--------------------------------------------

Over the years I have saved pix's from necropsys and deaths related to hens reproductive problems, and even have pix's of areas internally that can have infection. Many are very graphic.

It also took the loss of a couple hens to find out which meds were the most effective, and which weren't...thus I am not just slinging out suggestions for treatment, but first hand knowledge.
:hug8:So understand this! and THANK YOU!!!!!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
once I pulled her out I realized that she was fully impacted. Her crop was full and she had a swollen abdominal cavity that looked like it might burst as well as a massive prolapse where it looked like some of the cloacal tissue had torn trying to pass the egg.
----------------------------------------------------

Was the crop full prior to trying to handfeed? And if so did it feel fluidy and gassy/bloated feeling? If so you have a psuedomonas (sp) infection in the preventricula and the body is regurgitating fluids into the crop, which can cause dehydration, and this can also impair kidney function. The most effective treatment for this is Zosyn, and also amikacin (both injectable)...AND also draining/emptying ther crop...to reduce risks of self aspiration, ANd Sub-Q Ringers or Normosol.

IF the prolaspe pops back out...before you can get to a vet....it MUST be kept moist. Have on hand: White Sugar (or Preparation-H), Q-tip, and KY jelly (not vasaline) Rinse the tisuue under warn running water from the faucet. Blot excess fluids off the tissue. Coat ALL exposed tissue with the sugar (or Prep-H). let sit on the tissue for 10-15 minutes. Use a Q-tip dipped in KY jelly and insert the tissue back into the body. If the tissue pops out, repeat. Once the tissue does stay in it will re-align itself in the body. BUT since you have had exposed tissue it is imperitive to get her on antibiotics listed above.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
thanks so much for the pics and advice Susanne....do you recommend an aspirin if they are not in that condition?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
thanks so much for the pics and advice Susanne....do you recommend an aspirin if they are not in that condition?
-----------------------------------------------

Yes...if the bird has an injury, or after surgery, or suspected internal bleeding. Any type of illness or injury that can possibly cause a blood clot.

OK...I just posted a new thread: http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-...68-online-book-avian-medicene.html#post472177

Chaprer 29 will be helpful for this thread.

Last edited:

FoxersArtist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anna
The advice given here has been fantastic and greatly appreciated. I usually do not post much outside of the macaw and cockatoo rescue sub forum and it is not infrequent for me to post medical situations that occur with the rescue. I post for learning purposes: both for my learning and to teach others about medical situations that can occur in avians. I would appreciate having the thread as a reference in the macaw & cockatoo rescue forum, along with the other medical posts that are there, but understand why it was moved to the 911 section. Many of my threads can be considered emergency situations, though we work very closely with an avian vet who guides us every step of the way and our birds are always seen by a vet - regardless of whether we think we have the knowledge and tools to treat a medical condition. There is no excuse for not having a licensed professional see a sick animal, in my opinion, even if a parrot owner is well seasoned in medical care.

Based on the photos displayed by another member, Luke's condition looked similar to those photos. Thankfully the egg that was passed had not broken and came out in one big blob. There was still a lot of built up fluid in the abdominal cavity, mostly feces from the obstruction but there was not another egg mass in the cavity. I am curious to see what measures my vet chooses to take for Luke after reading the information posted here and have a number of questions for her based on some of the advice given here.

Astonishingly, we woke up this morning to a very bright eyed, energy filled little cockatiel. She has been making normal looking (although a bit watery) bowel movements and does not seem to be in a lot of pain. She is no longer impacted and the swelling on her belly has come down quite a bit. (the crop did not smell sour last night so I did not flush it - it was drained this morning.) She is still a little puffy and though the area looks irritated, it looks a million times better than last night. palpitating the skin, it no longer feels bloated or like there are trapped gasses, though that is how I would have described it last ight. The vent does not look right to me - like the prolapsed anus still needs some internal positioning, which I will leave up to my vet, since the is able to have bowel movements. I am giving subcutanious saline to make sure she is hydrated after such a nasty impaction. Overall I am really impressed with her ability to bounce back so quickly, though I am still waiting to hear from my vet (who is likely up in the mountains somewhere without signal, or she would have called back by now). Despite her cheery demeanor, I'm still going to insist that she is seen tomorrow, especially since the tissue looked torn and the prolapse was so huge. I think she needs calcium and maybe some other vitamins at the least. I will not be surprised if my vet chooses to take more drastic actions (hormone treatments, hysterectomy, etc.) I am worried about the future of this little one because she has such a strong interest in egg laying. Now that she has prolapsed, the risk of her doing it again is much higher. Based on the damage this bad egg caused, I don't know if it will be possible for her to safely lay eggs again. We'll see what the vet says but this is certainly a concern to be brought up. For now she is resting comfortably and seems to be eating and drinking (wow!) on her own.

For those who do not know, and specifically for the member who asked about full spectrum lighting - we are a rescue group. We do not breed and we discourage any hen that is under our care from egg laying by reducing long hours of sunlight, feeding diets lower in high quality protien, not providing nesting materials, and not providing other hormone stimulating factors. We try to allow each of our birds to experience natural sunlight as often as possible for health and enrichment purposes.

Thanks for all of the wonderful advice. We'll keep you updated on Luke's progress.
-Anna

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
That is great she is feeling better :)

There was still a lot of built up fluid in the abdominal cavity, mostly feces from the obstruction but there was not another egg mass in the cavity.
-------------------------------------------
Feces would not be in the abdomial cavity unless there was a rupture to the intestines...and if so you would have septicemia and a dead bird. Feces would be in the intestines if there was still a partial impaction putting pressure on the intestines closest to the cloaca...but there would also be some lameness or a partial parralysis. (sp)

Some of the fluids in the abdomen would be called ascites. Or if while ovualtion the yolk missed the funnel of the oviduct and went into the abdominal cavity then this can contribute to peritonitis.

I would appreciate having the thread as a reference in the macaw & cockatoo rescue forum, along with the other medical posts that are there, but understand why it was moved to the 911 section.

Sorry...I asked for it to be moved. If this bothers you I can delete all of my responces to this posting and it can be moved where you want it. As to myself since it was a cockatiel that section would be more appropriate or as is in the 911.

As to the prolapse it was most likely the uterus.

For those who do not know, and specifically for the member who asked about full spectrum lighting - we are a rescue group. We do not breed

Whether you breed or not is of no signifigence with what happened to your bird. If the birds in your care do not have regular access to real sunlight (not filtered thru glass) they will benefit from full spectrum lighting. Quite possibly this may not have happened if there was access to proper lighting.

FoxersArtist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anna
I think deleting your responses would both be a waste of your time and a shame for any member here who is interested in learning.

It looks like there were feces in the abdominal cavity as you could see dark patches through the skin last night. Is it possible that this was instead the enlarged intestinal tract, which has now emptied? The cavity looks nice and pink today - not yellowish like the photo you described - though the skin did look yellow last night.

I imagine you must answer a great many concerned posts from individuals and I appreciate the time you have taken to offer advice in this thread. I will continue to keep the board updated on Luke's progress.
-Anna

That is great she is feeling better :)

Sorry...I asked for it to be moved. If this bothers you I can delete all of my responces to this posting and it can be moved where you want it. As to myself since it was a cockatiel that section would be more appropriate or as is in the 911.

Status
Not open for further replies.