• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Egg bound - A happy ending

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I thoroughly enjoy breeding my parrots but it is work, a job I love, but work nonetheless. In the interests of sharing some of the not so fun parts just for those doing research here is a little story about how I spent my Saturday.

Rainey my little Black-headed caique was overdue to lay her egg. I was not even sure how much overdue since I did not know when the last egg was layed (this pair is destroying their eggs after they lay them). No other symptoms but the bulging belly and no egg layed. But I knew we needed to go to the vet. Of course, my awesome vet was overbooked, so it was off to the Emergency vet clinic, on a holiday weekend no less. Bird's ALWAYS need vets on a holiday weekend.

PXL_20220702_222211416~3.jpg

Rainey was very good, not here typical little fiesty self (I guess that is a sign something was wrong as well). She did request a hat since her mate Bandit was plucking her bald...

E287101_LASKIWSKI^RAINEY_1.jpg

The x-ray revealed that she was indeed carrying a large egg which was not positioned properly. It should be pointed straight down not tilted. You can see how this is a problem. They vet gave me the results of the x-ray and we were discussing what to do next, I was outside so I got of the phone to come inside to talk in person. They put me in an exam room and a minute later, in walks Dr Foster and she hands me this...

PXL_20220703_021103049.jpg

In the two minutes it took me to come inside Rainey laid her egg. The vet did assist by rotating the egg a little and the sedation from the x-ray likely helped relax her as well. We were all very happy she laid the egg. I took the egg home and fostered it to one of my other birds to see if it will hatch.

A happy ending for everyone.

It takes dedication and a lot of time and money to raise birds right and care for them and any babies they might have. This was a $559 vet visit with six hours spent there at the vet with a 45 minute drive each way. It worked out in the best possible way but it could have taken a turn for worse.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m very glad Rainey is ok and was able to pass her egg (more or less) on her own. It will be interesting to see if it hatches. Hope she´s recovering well at home :)

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
So impressive, that the egg came out! Looks ginormous! Is it larger than average?
So happy for you both that she laid it!!
Great stuff to share with us.