• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Egg binding

taliaadora

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Talia
I have a female budgie who has all the signs of egg binding there's no vets anywhere near me and she is in distress can anyone please help tell me what to do for her please

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
Egg binding is pretty serious at the vet they will give your bird a calcium magnesium shot. Fortunately I've never dealt with this in a parrot. I did however deal with this in a Bjtton quail. I followed tutorials on the internet and thus quite a while ago. Here is what I remember I did.
First I made slurry of a little magnesium and powder egg shell(or powder bone pill) and would give a little with a syringe on the side of her beak or I dipped her beak in a spoon with the solution- button quails have different beak shape than a budgie.

I made a warm water bath (two cups of water) and 2 table spoons of Epson salt and lett her sit in make sure her head was up. I used a heating pad and heater make sure she stayed warm and never got a draft . When this happened a second time and this wasn't working I gently massaged it out with organic Coconut oil (olive oil would work too)

To confirm egg binding gently feel her bottom and see if you feel a hard egg shape.

Again this was for a button quail. Egg binding normally happens due to a lack of calcium in the birds diet causing a calcium deficiency.

Definitely in the near future if I was in your shoes I'd find an avain savvy vet within driving distance- try calling rescues to find out who they take their birds too.w
Wishing and praying your bird makes it through this.

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
I have to react, my beloved budgie died 2 days ago with such an egg, was probably exhausted from that all. I would probably recommend you to give her calcium and D3 vitamin, but now with the egg already bounded maybe it should be carefully took off, but I heard that even if the shell is broken, it will not kill the budgie. it could help to go away easier.....