• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

egg binding?

Rio&Molly19

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chelsey
So Ive had my female and male cockatiel for almost 2 weeks and im concerned for my female. they have been mating for a couple weeks. and im terrified for egg binding. ive got cuttlebone in the cage and i put some egg shell (blended up finely) to put in her food bowl for extra calcium. Shes been acting a bit of today. I realized there is a hump on her back above her tail feathers. not sure if thats normal or not. and shes been going back and forth from perch to cage floor but she will sit on the cage floor for awhile then go back up to the perch. she really hasnt eaten nearly as much as usual either... Maybe ive just got it all in my head. Im attaching a pic to try to show you the hump. its a little blurry but its the best one i could get right now without her running off lol

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I wouldn´t have thought that is because of egg binding. Egg binding is when the egg cannot pass the cloaca (the hole).
Please don´t put lol at the end of messages when you think there´s something wrong.

Maybe @rocky'smom might know what this is?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
If you are unsure get to veterinarian that sees avian right away.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Are the feathers on her rump just lifted, or is there an actual lump there? To me it just looks like her wings are hanging down a little bit. Here's one of my tiels with the posture of his tail at about the same angle as your female in the pic for comparison.
upload_2019-2-5_15-9-39.png