• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Edible flowers and plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
While looking through some older files, I found this list of edible flowers and plants. I thought it might be helpful since it contains the Latin names as well as the common names. I got this from the breeder who raised two of my lorikeets a few years ago. I do not know where she got it ... it's always a good idea to check multiple sources, of course. This can be a starting point, however.

MOST POPULAR EDIBLE FLOWERS (These are the most commonly consumed flowers of the eighty edible varieties.) Borage blossoms (Borago officinalis)—Tiny blue flowers have slight cucumber flavor.

Calendula flowers (Calendula officinalis)—Also known as "pot marigolds", multi-colored blooms with a peppery taste. Sometimes called "poor man's saffron"

Carnation flowers (Dianthus caryophyllus)—Red, pink, and white blossoms with clove taste.

Chamomile flowers (Chamaemilum nobile)—Daisy-like flowers with a slight hint of apple flavor. Especially good for parrots when calming influence is needed.

Chives (Allium schoenoprasum)—the lavander-pink pom pom flower is actually composed of many small florets. Flowers have a mild onion flavor.

Daisies (Bellis perennis)—Yellow and white flowers with light mint or clover flavor.

Dandelion flowers - pictured (Taraxacum officinale)—Small yellow blossoms have honey flavor when picked young. Older flowers are bitter but my Eclectus parrots do not seem to notice. Also offer the dandelion leaves which are an excellent source of nutrition.

Day lilies (Hemerocallis)—Many colored blossoms with sweet taste and crunchy lettuce texture. Flower buds and blossoms can be consumed at all stages of growth. Note: Many lilies (Lillium species) contain alkaloids and are NOT safe for parrots or people.

Elderberry flowers (Sambucus canadensis)—Sweet tasting flowers. For colds and chills, Gypsies mix elderberry flowers, yarrow and peppermint and steep in boiling water for 13 minutes, and drink tea frequently.

Gladiolus (Gladiolus spp.)Flowers of many colors grow on a spike with flowers above each other, all usually facing the same way. Has lettuce texture and flavor.

Hibiscus flowers (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis)—Tropical blossoms in a variety of colors have slightly acidic taste. One of the favorite flowers of most parrot species.

Honeysuckle flowers (Japanese Lonicera japonica)—Small white to yellow trumpet-shaped blossoms are sweet and delicious. Parrots relish these flowers and the Loridae family of birds especially loves the honeysuckle nectar. Only the Japanese honeysuckle is edible and only the blooms should be used as the berries are extremely poisonous. Offer only the flowers so that no berries on the vines will accidentally be eaten.

Impatiens (Impatiens wallerana)—Multi-color small blooms with mild taste.

Johnny-Jump-Up flowers--(Viola tricolor) Yellow, violet, and lavender flowers with wintergreen flavor. Leaves are also edible and contain vitamin C.

Lilac (Syringa vulgaris)--Lavender blossoms have heavy floral fragrance and lemon flavor.

Marigolds flowers (Tagetes signata pumila)—Bright yellow and orange flowers with citrus flavor.

Milk thistle (Silybum marianum)—Purple flowers are edible as well as leaves and seeds which are known for benefits to liver.

Nasturtiums (Tropaeolum majus)--Red, yellow, and orange flowers have a tangy, peppery flavor and are the most popular of all edible flowers. Leaves can be eaten too.

Pansies (Viola X Wittrockiana)—Purple, white, yellow bi-color blooms have a sweet, tart flavor.

Passionflowers - pictured (Passifloraceae - passion flower family)--Passiflora caerulea and Passiflora edulis are two of the hundreds of varieties. Some vines produce large greenish white and purple blossoms and then orange or purple edible fruit, depending upon the variety of the plant.

Roses (Rosa spp)—Some of the tastiest rose varieties are Rosa xdamascena, Rosa gallica, and Rosa rugosa, Flower carpet rose, Double Delight, Mirandy, and Tiffany variety. Roses have a slight fruity flavor.

Sage (Salvia officinalis)—Lavender-blue flower spikes grow only on the culinary variety. The variegated species of sage do not flower. Flowers have distinctive sage flavor. Other herb flowers—The tiny flowering blooms of the following spices are edible: anise, basil, bee balm, chives, coriander (cilantro), dill, fennel, garlic, oregano, rosemary, and thyme.

Sunflowers (Helianthus)--Many varieties but most have yellow leaves around a "black eye" center. Mature flowers contain the seed that all parrots find so irresistible!

Tree flowers—Parrots can be offered the flowering blooms of the following trees: Apple, bottlebrush, citrus (orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit, kumquat), eucalyptus, melaleuca, and plum. Tulips (Tulipa spp.)—Multi-color flowers with crisp, cucumber taste.

Vegetable flowers—Butterblossom squash flowers have slight squash taste. Zucchini flowers, podded pea flowers (ornamental peas are poisonous), okra, pumpkin, and runner bean flowers are edible.

Violets (Viola odorata)—Deep violet and white color with sweet wintergreen taste.

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
Larger grocery stores and some health food stores will often sell edible flowers in the produce section. I find small packets of edible flowers at the Schnuck's Grocery Store near my house as well as at Whole Foods. These are organic and they are in the same area as the packets of fresh herbs.

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
That's been my experience too! I scaled our Bottlebrush tree to get 2 of the last blooms on the thing to give to our Dusky Lory and she basically beat it around a bit but didn't seem to actually consume any part of it. I also gave her some blooms off a Hibiscus bush and had the same result. Wasn't sure if there was some trick to presentation to get her to actually understand that it is a food source. :)

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
Jamie, thank you for the list!:) I feed flowers to my fids too, I tried feeding the flowers to them by just putting them whole in their food dish but they won't eat them like that, so I put them through the food processor and mix it with the rice, hehe!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you for sharing the list!

Matt

Status