• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Edgar the Greater Vasa

Jazzy*

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
i love hearing all about him, sounds like he is really a awesome guy and lots of fun to have part of the family :)

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Thanks, everyone. We've had Edgar for 2.5 years. He has just been a joy. I've been very impressed with this species.

I grew up with my great-grandmother's Blue Front Amazon (Polly 1931-1986) and raised the smaller birds most of my life (parakeets, lovebirds, 'tiels). As an adult, I always wanted a larger parrot but could never settle upon a species- knowing that it would be a lifelong commitment. It was very important to have a bird that could be part of the family, minimal possessive traits/aggression and minimal neurotic behaviors. Personality and behavior came before bright plumage. Our Polly loved my great-grandmother and children but would absolutely amputate another adult's finger.

A few years ago we saw some young Vasa at a show. It was the first and last time I saw them. I was so intrigued by their color and truncated form. After researching them for some time I finally decided it was the parrot for us.

Edgar has proven to be very intelligent, affectionate and sweet- not a biter at all. Rather than bite he'll whine to let you know he doesn't approve of the situation. Each time you play with him or let him sit on your shoulder you see him watching and the wheels turning in his brain. He was also very good about learning to step up and allowing us to handle him. He is jumpy around strangers but settles once they spend time talking with him and moving slowly near his cage.

You explain vasa behavior so well!!!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Yes, they do try to "comb" your hair. Pet does that all the time. Quite endearing also. I wonder if it is their way of "feather grooming" us. My macaw feather grooms each of my fingers...up and down. Took a while to make sure he was gentle but he is getting the message.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What a cool bird! Makes me want to get one! But no, I already have enough fids to keep me busy!