• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can anyone tell me a step-by-step feeding routine and very simple chop recipe to help me get started

• Very easy Eclectus daily feeding routine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very easy information to get you and your Eclectus on the right path.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EclectusMoma

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tammy Maughon
Hello everyone! I just joined this forum but have actually been her reading a lot for the past month at least. I have a female Eclectus that is my heart. I bought her from a breeder who didn’t share much information with me on how to properly take care of her. I’ve just recently learned that they need a specialized diet and have been scouring the web trying to learn how to feed her right, which many times led me here. I have really enjoyed the way that people here seem to get along and are always being so helpful to people like me who’s oblivious as to where to even get started on feeding my beautiful ‘Ruby’ in a healthy and nutritious way. I’ve found a lot of useful information here, but because I got started out in so many different places online, I’m still at the very confused, and very overwhelmed stage. I’m glad to actually be a part of this forum now so that maybe I can get the right kind of help on this. Thank you for the opportunity to join!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Ruby! :)

I really can't help you with your specific questions about Ruby's diet...hopefully other roadies will be along shortly to help you...:)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Welcome to the avenue!
@aooratrix makes great chop perhaps he can help:)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Glad you are here to find out how to feed Ruby properly. I only know that they need lots of veggies and not a lot of pellets. Chop is easy, just take what you want in your chop and chop it up into small pieces and mix it all together. Welcome to AA and I hope some eclectus people will be along soon.

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Easy chop---I buy the chopped up veggies already in the bag. I buy an extra bag of shredded carrots and mix it about half and half. I work full time so they only get those in the morning and they have them all day.
They do not like the big chunks of food. They both like to sit on their bowl and eat.
My male eats about 1 1/2 cups a day and my female maybe 1 cup a day.
I have started giving them dried/dehydrated veggies and fruit once a week as well. I throw a half a cup of water in with it so some of it hydrates throughout the day.
(I'm doing this so that when I go on vacation I can have the food ready in containers for my sitter.)
My Ekkies get the Volkman Eclectus seed every Saturday. (All my parrots get a seed mix on Saturday.) Their treat and it is easy for me...I go back to bed. :laugh:
My Ekkies seldom finish a cup of seed in a day so it lasts for several days. In fact, my female still had some in her cage this morning. (Saturday - Thursday.)

Others will tell you to do a chop. I have done that in the past and I'm not saying I'm not going to do it in the future but for now I try to keep it simple.
They also get some pellets (a tablespoon) thrown in their veggies once or twice a week. It's the TOPS brand.

I try to keep to keep it simple but I mix it up at the same time so they don't get bored.

Hope this helps. Please don't sweat the diet for the Ekkies. Come here and learn and do what works for you and your girl.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
I do not have nor have I ever had any S.I. Eclectus parrots but I do understand that more active younger birds require a little more fat, but all of them require more fruits and veggies than other parrots.

quote from Beauty of Birds.com
It is generally recommended that eclectuses be fed about 80% soft foods, such as fresh or thawed-out frozen fruits, vegetables, soaked seed. They enjoy corn-on-the-cob, banana, mango, apple, per, passion fruit, berries, cantaloupe and watermelon. It is imperative that the fresh, soaked and cooked food items need to be removed daily to prevent sickness from contaminated food.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:welcome2:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I feed our Eclectus mainly fruit and vegetables with a small amount of nuts and seeds. Plus small amount of egg and chicken twice a week.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:welave:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA and congrats on getting Ruby.