• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus weight

bosh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Danielle
@bosh
Just remember, these are inremental, not drastic changes. Watch the droppings- some change is expected, but if feces become 'unformed' or urates (the white part) become green or yellow, or there is not adequate urine. Let us know.

After these little changes, you may find the weight to differ (day by day, hour by hour). But the most important tracking is week by week. Please post if you have any other questions, comments or otherwise. Please update as well- There is a community here to help who cares about you and your feathered friend :)
Thank you, everyone. I am so glad I found this forum, and the awesome people here.

@mythic55, I’ve heard that when picking dried fruits, it’s important to choose only packets labeled unsulfured. Are there any other warnings you would have when selecting dried fruits for ekkies?

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
They frequently have added sugar, just check the ingredients.

Reactions: Ali

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
@Monaco is exactly right.
Check for no added sugars, colorants, preservatives, sodium or anything you cannot pronounce.... This can be a tall task. Try your local holistic locations or 'prepper' websites (human grade).

Remember, this is a small portion, a mere addition to the balanced diet to facilitate weight gain (when/if required).

Really just try whole foods- almonds, etc. They may have added fat, but again this is temporary. If you look at the breakdown of common hand feeding formula:
Protein: 19%, Fat: 13%, Fiber: 5%, with lots of probiotics (this is not ideal, but necessary for development of most parrots)

So do try to keep fat to reasonable level (5-8%). But adding in a few nuts, or fresh coconut is your best option before turning to processed items.