• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus vs GCC?

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
Hi there! =3

I'm not too experienced, and I'm looking into some parrots as a friend. I'm really considering the Eclectus or a Green Cheek Conure. ^-^

Overall, what I'm looking for is an animal that appreciates my presence. I just want a feathered companion. I don't ask for much. It doesn't need to talk, doesn't need to be a part of a circus, etc. All I request is a more of a quiet kind of bird and one that doesn't have dust like cockatoos, african greys, or love birds. Expenses aren't a concern -- I'm financially stable. I also eat healthy with organic, gmo free (i try my best with this one, but it doesn't always work out) and always have fresh vegetables and fruits in the fridge. The Eclectus diet isn't worrisome, nor is making sure that my birds have a healthy diet.

And for the Eclectus, I've really tried to do my research, but males vs females searches have come up with nothing. I've heard that males are much more hormonal than all other species, but then females are just a boring lump? I don't believe in that last one, and have read that females are smart. Anyone want to elaborate? Meaning, please describe the differences between females and males! :) In any case, I found the Eclectus species to sound perfect! They seem more mellow, not crazy about affection, aren't too loud, but do like your presence. AND YES, I acknowledge that they have an ear shattering call! (I've only read that it is once in a blue moon...anyone with more info, please talk about it!)

Yet, I've been reading about Green Cheek Conures. I've heard that they're cuddly, not too loud, and like snuggling underneath your shirts... I find this trait more than adorable, haha! They're said to be clownish macaws in a tiny package. But are they extremely needy? Too needy?

And my bird will be out for most of the day! I don't go out much (I work at home without a set time schedule), but when I do, it's usually the park + grocery shopping + eating out + movies! There will be a harness and leash on my bird at all times unless it's for flight recall. :D

In conclusion:

Eclectus:
-Male vs Female? Are males aggressively hormonal? Are females uninteractive and flat out aloof?
-Do females ever seek attention, generally?

Green Cheek Conure:
-Are they too needy?

Thank you to anyone that answers! I know that all birds are individuals, but I really want to do my research! =)

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
Welcome! My post will be very biased because of my time with Reza!

It is important to know any parrot will go through hormonal stages. With males there are ways to distract them if they start getting too excited on you. The females; it is important to not let them under furniture or in dark spaces. Otherwise, they can become aggressive if you try to remove them from those areas. If either the male or female isn't in the mood for interaction... just give them space. The males are handsome and sweet and the females are gorgeous. Eclectus in general are calmer and like to hang out and watch what is going on around them. If you feel up to following their dietary needs that is even better since it is so important for them. Usually eclectus don't like touching but will still play with your hands. Reza would always put his head down for me to give him kisses. So there is interaction but not a "pet me all the time" kind of attention. But there are the ones who do enjoy it. I am not sure if you live in a house or an apartment/townhome. For an eclectus, I don't really recommend an apartment/townhome long term. When Reza would start his call it could be heard outside my house and down the street. There are members here who luck out and make it work.

I think it is also important on how your eclectus or gcc is raised if you plan on buying from a breeder or a reputable bird store. Or are you wanting to adopt an older parrot? To be honest, there are many eclectus and gccs on CL (depending on the area) so there are options. Do you live close to a parrot rescue? Also, when buying a baby... their feelings toward you could change completely once they get older and the hormonal changes come.

Good luck!

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
Welcome! My post will be very biased because of my time with Reza!

It is important to know any parrot will go through hormonal stages. With males there are ways to distract them if they start getting too excited on you. The females; it is important to not let them under furniture or in dark spaces. Otherwise, they can become aggressive if you try to remove them from those areas. If either the male or female isn't in the mood for interaction... just give them space. The males are handsome and sweet and the females are gorgeous. Eclectus in general are calmer and like to hang out and watch what is going on around them. If you feel up to following their dietary needs that is even better since it is so important for them. Usually eclectus don't like touching but will still play with your hands. Reza would always put his head down for me to give him kisses. So there is interaction but not a "pet me all the time" kind of attention. But there are the ones who do enjoy it. I am not sure if you live in a house or an apartment/townhome. For an eclectus, I don't really recommend an apartment/townhome long term. When Reza would start his call it could be heard outside my house and down the street. There are members here who luck out and make it work.

I think it is also important on how your eclectus or gcc is raised if you plan on buying from a breeder or a reputable bird store. Or are you wanting to adopt an older parrot? To be honest, there are many eclectus and gccs on CL (depending on the area) so there are options. Do you live close to a parrot rescue? Also, when buying a baby... their feelings toward you could change completely once they get older and the hormonal changes come.

Good luck!
Where I live, there are birds EVERYWHERE on CL. It's rather depressing (most of the gccs are chicks, which I suspect have been poorly bred and raised)... But yes, I am looking into adults! Babies are adorable and something I have considered, but I feel that an adult would be easier to work with. However, I want my birds to be flighted. If an adult was clipped or was cage bound and never had the opportunity to fledge, will they still enjoy flying? I've been told that parrots that experience the gift of flight as an adult only use it as instinct or for food -- not for pleasure... I would love to work on my birds being recalled as exercise. :(

No, I don't. The one closest to me is pretty far, nor do they have any birds smaller than a B&G macaw. I WOULD love a macaw, but I don't know if I'm ready. I can afford a hyacinth macaw, but even though I want one, I just don't have the experience. I don't need a metal crushing beak on my arm during play time! :lol:

I suspect that your eclectus is a male? I don't mind my bird not being completely hands on. I do want a bird that is loyal to me. I do NOT want a one-person bird with the aggression, but I do want a bird that would have a preference for me... :hehe:

Is he aloof? In your experience, are females more so than males? I do realize that hormones will come around during breeding season, but I want to know the intensity. I have heard of male GW macaws doing a complete 180 during breeding seasons... (not to say all GWs or all macaws do, of course)

I don't care about the beakiness, but if the bird is going to be flat out aggressive and I'll lose my baby for the whole season, I can't have it. I'd die inside.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
Yes, Reza is male. I do not have a female but was interested in getting one as well; therefore, I spoke to the breeder in depth about them. There are many great threads on here too. If you search for the member SODAKAT on here that would be great. She had many eclectus and I feel she gives unbiased (towards male or female eclectus) and valuable information.

It is difficult to determine who your parrot will be and stay "loyal" to. It can be one way for a couple of years/months/weeks and then something may change. You just never really know with parrots. You may even end up with a parrot that is too bonded and wants to be your mate which can cause issues as well!! I think the fact that eclectus like to hang out and watch more than be super interactive can help with them not being too much of a one person bird. But that isn't a guarantee either. What is important to know about eclectus is that they can breed all year. So hormones won't affect them only at certain times of the year. Unfortunately, I can't give too much on how it was with Reza's hormones. He passed away a few months ago and it was right around the time I started noticing little changes in him.

Getting an adult parrot can sometimes be better in a sense of you know what you are getting. But, after the "honeymoon period" is over, some behaviors that were never seen can appear and some may stop/get better.

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
Yes, Reza is male. I do not have a female but was interested in getting one as well; therefore, I spoke to the breeder in depth about them. There are many great threads on here too. If you search for the member SODAKAT on here that would be great. She had many eclectus and I feel she gives unbiased (towards male or female eclectus) and valuable information.

It is difficult to determine who your parrot will be and stay "loyal" to. It can be one way for a couple of years/months/weeks and then something may change. You just never really know with parrots. You may even end up with a parrot that is too bonded and wants to be your mate which can cause issues as well!! I think the fact that eclectus like to hang out and watch more than be super interactive can help with them not being too much of a one person bird. But that isn't a guarantee either. What is important to know about eclectus is that they can breed all year. So hormones won't affect them only at certain times of the year. Unfortunately, I can't give too much on how it was with Reza's hormones. He passed away a few months ago and it was right around the time I started noticing little changes in him.

Getting an adult parrot can sometimes be better in a sense of you know what you are getting. But, after the "honeymoon period" is over, some behaviors that were never seen can appear and some may stop/get better.
I know about over bonding, but sort of like how a dog is loyal to their master, I sort of want the same. I am NOT looking for a bird that's like a dog -- no no no no -- but I am looking for a bird that has me as their chosen person. I mean, do I want a bird that loves another person? Personally, not so much, haha.

That's one of the reasons why I have turned to loving Eclectus parrots. There aren't that many on CL right now as it's the holidays, and frankly, I won't be owning a bird until later in life. I don't think I'm ready as of now, so all of this is just preparation. Still, prepping isn't that bad, no?

Oh wow. Really? I'm so sorry for your loss. :sadhug: Are you thinking of getting another eclectus? And he sounds wonderful, even from the descriptions that you have given me.

I am also aware of this. Our whole family supports rescuing, and all our dogs have been rescues!

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I know about over bonding, but sort of like how a dog is loyal to their master, I sort of want the same. I am NOT looking for a bird that's like a dog -- no no no no -- but I am looking for a bird that has me as their chosen person. I mean, do I want a bird that loves another person? Personally, not so much, haha.
You don't get to choose that. Your bird will pick who (or what) is "the one" and anyone else is typically chopped liver unless you continuously socialize and never let up.

Of course, if there's only you, that increases the chance that the bird will pick you due to lack of any other options - but that's also going to lead to an unsocialized bird who will probably attack or at least dislike strangers. That has consequences, too. Say you have a friend or family member over, move in with a roommate, pursue a relationship, have kids, and so on - a one-person bird can seriously damage those relationships.

And they can change their chosen person, too. It happens. A lot of people get birds for themselves that end up bonding to a family member instead. You just have to go with it, and do what you can to keep them socialized and well-rounded.

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
You don't get to choose that. Your bird will pick who (or what) is "the one" and anyone else is typically chopped liver unless you continuously socialize and never let up.

Of course, if there's only you, that increases the chance that the bird will pick you due to lack of any other options - but that's also going to lead to an unsocialized bird who will probably attack or at least dislike strangers. That has consequences, too. Say you have a friend or family member over, move in with a roommate, pursue a relationship, have kids, and so on - a one-person bird can seriously damage those relationships.

And they can change their chosen person, too. It happens. A lot of people get birds for themselves that end up bonding to a family member instead. You just have to go with it, and do what you can to keep them socialized and well-rounded.
Yup, I know that too. I understand that the birds have to choose me, and perhaps, I might just come home with a completely different species of bird than I had ever thought!

I also do know the risks of having a bird that has a chosen person. I heard that they're extremely aggressive to anyone else if it isn't handled correctly, yes?

Why is this? Does it happen out of nowhere? :blink:

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Yup, I know that too. I understand that the birds have to choose me, and perhaps, I might just come home with a completely different species of bird than I had ever thought!

I also do know the risks of having a bird that has a chosen person. I heard that they're extremely aggressive to anyone else if it isn't handled correctly, yes?

Why is this? Does it happen out of nowhere? :blink:
Well, birds (and all animals in general) are designed to reproduce. They are monogamous, choosing one mate, and generally only hatch a few babies per season. To maximize the chances of their babies surviving, they need to be very protective of their family and their territory.

Reality is, a lot of living with parrots is fighting against their natural behaviors and instincts. That's just one of them :p

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
Well, birds (and all animals in general) are designed to reproduce. They are monogamous, choosing one mate, and generally only hatch a few babies per season. To maximize the chances of their babies surviving, they need to be very protective of their family and their territory.

Reality is, a lot of living with parrots is fighting against their natural behaviors and instincts. That's just one of them :p
Unfortunately, it is very true. However, what got me into parrots was the abundance of them on CL in my area. As I researched, met a few (at pet stores while waiting for that bite!)...I've fallen in love. I don't think I could live without one. And as I delve deeper -- I find myself looking at macaws. Specifically, GWs on CL. Is it healthy? Is it right? I don't know, but honestly, I don't want to be getting a bird I don't want and then use that bird as experience. It seems unfair. I won't get a Hyacinth, but I find myself leaning towards GWs. Gah! Hopefully, I'll find myself a bird that I truly connect with. A conure? An eclectus? A macaw?

Wish me luck! :heart: