• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus question

dnbmorgann

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
BEVERLY MORGAN
2/6/2021. I had a very difficult evening yesterday. I was cleaning my self-cleaning oven. The smell was pretty bad and I had doors and windows open. I had once heard to not use real hot temperatures with Teflon pans due to toxicity to birds. I did not know the inside of the oven is covered in Teflon. About an hour after I'd finished, our parrot, Ferd, started fluttering, and got stuck on his perch. I picked him up, and within a minute, he died in my hands.... I feel responsible, yet I'd never done it if I'd known. Ferd was a part of our family for 17 years. It was so fun breeding Ferd and Marjie. Ferd was the biggest talker. He was out of the cage a lot. I will miss him for a long time.

2/8/2021- Update: I knew our male and female eclectus had mated a day before Ferd died. I looked in the birthing box today, and there is an egg! I need as much advice as possible for what to do to have a successful birth! Should I use an incubator? Is it even possible with not having a male to feed the female while on the egg? Any input would be appreciated...

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh gosh I am so very sorry for your loss :(

Please remember to never ever use the self cleaning function on your oven again as the fumes are very deadly, I wish they did not make so many things that are so deadly for our birds- it really is quite scary.

Sounds like you may need to help out if the egg is indeed fertile- I will tag two of our most helpful members regarding your egg and what to do.... @Mockinbirdiva @Zara.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
2/6/2021. I had a very difficult evening yesterday. I was cleaning my self-cleaning oven. The smell was pretty bad and I had doors and windows open. I had once heard to not use real hot temperatures with Teflon pans due to toxicity to birds. I did not know the inside of the oven is covered in Teflon. About an hour after I'd finished, our parrot, Ferd, started fluttering, and got stuck on his perch. I picked him up, and within a minute, he died in my hands.... I feel responsible, yet I'd never done it if I'd known. Ferd was a part of our family for 17 years. It was so fun breeding Ferd and Marjie. Ferd was the biggest talker. He was out of the cage a lot. I will miss him for a long time.

2/8/2021- Update: I knew our male and female eclectus had mated a day before Ferd died. I looked in the birthing box today, and there is an egg! I need as much advice as possible for what to do to have a successful birth! Should I use an incubator? Is it even possible with not having a male to feed the female while on the egg? Any input would be appreciated...
I'm sorry for the loss of Ferd. It will be a few days before you know if the egg is fertile. Visit the forum Egg layers expressway on how to candle eggs if you don't already know how to. Without doing a search on Eclectus I'm not savy to how many days once the hen starts to incubate their eggs hatch. Do you even own an incubator and have you ever had to hand feed a chick from day one? If they've bred and produced young before you may already be privy to some information.
In this case if she successfully incubates and hatches this or any other eggs she may lay you might have to step in and co-parent the chicks .... leaving them in the nest box for her to care for but you also will provide feedings with formula.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Beverly,
I´m very sorry for your loss.

I don´t know about breeding eclectus´. Though I see you wrote you had fun breeding, so you have experience? Does the male usually brood the egg too? If so, you may have trouble getting your female to sit the whole time. If not, then you should be able to help your female by bringing the food and water bowls closer to the nestbox opening.
Same question for raising chicks, did your male Ferd feed the little ones? Or did he just feed Marjie? If he fed the little ones, then you may have to step in and help co parent. If she doesn´t brood the little ones you will have to remove them from the nest and into a brooder to be raised by you.

Either way, if those eggs hatch, I would be checking in on them a lot to be sure they´re all getting fed, and brooded.

Think about the males role in reproduction, and work out if you are able to play his part to help.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm so sorry for your loss. Good luck.