• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus only please- Diet study :)

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Texture more than likely. They really like ‘squishable’ (very scientific term I know).

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
That’s great! I would go with all sorts of citrus. Like finger limes are a favorite!
Kumquat are great along with even limes and lemons. Pineapple can also be a great delivery system for fun!

nothing like a wedge of fresh pineapple with bits of seeds pressed in :)

just trying to think of more ideas...
So, as chance would have it... That Friday ^ I took her up to my mother's house for several hours, and guess what was on her play stand? Grapefruit skins! I forgot to ask how much she ate, but it looked like several wedges from the aftermath. No pulp, just the skins, which is odd because she usually juices them and drops pulp and skin both.

I thought you might enjoy knowing that you were correct.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Pellets quantity: 1/4th cup
Brand of pellets: Zupreem Natural

Seed mix quantity: 1/4th cup
Brand of seed mix: Volkman Soak and Simmer with a little Blessings Gourmet Lori Powder

Fresh food quantity: 1 cup
Fruit: Papaya, mango, kiwi, apples, dragonfruit, oranges, grapefruit, limes, plums.
Vegetables: Kale, bok choy, zucchini, pumpkin, sweet potato, chilies.

Sprouted items: Dr. Bird Sprout MIx
Type: Quantity: Spoonful

Nuts
Type:
Almonds
Quantity: 1-4 a day

Grains
Type:
None really
Quantity: None really

Current Health or behavioral concerns:
Screaming
Wing flipping

THIS IS WHAT MELANIA IS ON CURRENTLY WITH ME, BEFORE MEAND THE FOSTER HOME, ABOUT A MONTH AGO SHE WAS ON PURE PELLETS AND A SEED AND NUT MIX WITH OCCASIONAL APPLES. SHE HAS BEEN ON THIS DIET FOR 2 DAYS AND I PLAN ON WEANING HER OFF PELLETS.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Hope your trips were good! You're welcome and good luck reading it all!

Also off topic but i just got kicked off of a facebook group because I said ekkies need more than 15% fruit

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@Miss Annamarie
Im sorry you got kicked off. People dont like to be contradicted. I wouldnt say anything that wasnt backed up by research- Here is decent list of the natural diet of ekkies (note than much of it is fruit, buds, etc). Which is why certain types of fruit are better than others.... and cooked carrots and butternut squash are so capitol.

NATIVE ECLECTUS DIET

Acacia meloanoxylon (Black wattle),

Alphitonia petrei (Pink Ash),

Alphitonia whitei (White Ash),

Alphitonia excelsa (Red Ash),

Canarium spp., Cinnamomum olivieri (Black Sassafras),

Cupaniopsis anacardioides (Tuckeroo)

Claoxylon spp. (Brittlewood),

Dodonea lanceolata var. subsessifolia (Hopbush),

Dillenia alata (Golden Guinea tree),

Diploglottis diphyllosteia (Northern Tamarind)

Grewia papuana (Grewia),

Glochidion spp. (Buttonwoods),

Lagerstomera archeriana (Native Crepe Myrtle),

Leea indica, Mackinlaya confuse,

Melodorum leichhardtii (Acid Drop)

Micromelum minutum (Lime berry)

Macaranga tanarius (Blush Macaranga)

Macaranga involcrata (Macaranga)

Polyscias elegans (Celerywood)

Ptychosperma elegans (Solitaire Palm)

Salacia chinensis (Lolly Vine)

Syzygium aqueum (Watery Rose-apple),

Syzigium luehmannii (Lilly Pilly) and

Syzygium suborbiculare (Lady Apple)

Toechima daemelianum (Cape Tamarind)

Tetracera nordtiana (Fire Vine)

Terminalia sericocarpa (Damson Plum)

There are even more....

Last edited:

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
@Les charlson
Did the homeopathic nectar arrive? how did it work out?
Hi. I started my order but had to email them for postage. They quoted around $38 which is more than the nectar itself. I decided to leave it for now. I did look at the ingredients though. I have bee pollen and a few other things that I already use. Its a pity we don't have a local supply.

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
@Les charlson
Did the homeopathic nectar arrive? how did it work out?
Sorry, I missed the 10 minute edit. Been looking for an AU supplier but no luck. Our problem is the dates on these foods. With the drought, fires, floods, the insect problem, (Weevil moths) and now our shut down it isn't easy. Hoping Ruby gets used to a more basic fruit diet. Passionfruit eg, is harder to find. So far so good.

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
@Les charlson
That's a pitty. I checked on sending you a smaller bag for curiosity sake- but im now state side for awhile.... and the shipping is outrageous (previously more reasonable).
Thank you for being so kind. I am wondering if you have info on freezing cooked vegs. How much nutrient loss etc. Its looking likely that is the best way forward at the moment. I just paid more than I should for a whole pumpkin/squash. It may come in useful for Eclectus owners. Thanks again.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@Les charlson
I am wondering if you have info on freezing cooked vegs. How much nutrient loss etc.
I think that is fairly debatable- there are numerous variables, ill summarize a few:

Natural nutrient loss: Fresh produce actually loses quite a bit of nutrients as it ages- natural process of breaking down. Especially things with seeds- the seeds begin their preparation for germination by absorbing nutrients from the flesh.

Timing the freezing: Generally, frozen foods retain their vital nutrients and minerals (no change to macro or micro) versus things like dehydrating (which reduce the water content and concentrate things like sugar). A good way to preserve the nutrients is so ensure the food is not overly ripe, chopping it into designated pieces and freezing it.

Nutrient loss from cooking: Many nutrients are however lost or reduced during the cooking process. When boiling- you are often just making nutrient dense water (vitmins like B and C get released into the water) and vitamin A is lost if the foods are cooked in fats). That is why fresh (uncooked) fruit is so vital, where vegetables can be cooked to ensure they are easily digested and palatable.

Different cooking methods matter, for example boiling causes 30% loss of vitamin C. However microwaved vegetables retain almost all their vitamin C.
So in the case of your pumpkin/squash which is high in nutrients (that ekkies need the most) to ensure it is healthiest- it should be chopped fresh, microwaved, then frozen ;)

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Thank you very much. I will do what you suggest. Very useful.
@Les charlson

I think that is fairly debatable- there are numerous variables, ill summarize a few:

Natural nutrient loss: Fresh produce actually loses quite a bit of nutrients as it ages- natural process of breaking down. Especially things with seeds- the seeds begin their preparation for germination by absorbing nutrients from the flesh.

Timing the freezing: Generally, frozen foods retain their vital nutrients and minerals (no change to macro or micro) versus things like dehydrating (which reduce the water content and concentrate things like sugar). A good way to preserve the nutrients is so ensure the food is not overly ripe, chopping it into designated pieces and freezing it.

Nutrient loss from cooking: Many nutrients are however lost or reduced during the cooking process. When boiling- you are often just making nutrient dense water (vitmins like B and C get released into the water) and vitamin A is lost if the foods are cooked in fats). That is why fresh (uncooked) fruit is so vital, where vegetables can be cooked to ensure they are easily digested and palatable.

Different cooking methods matter, for example boiling causes 30% loss of vitamin C. However microwaved vegetables retain almost all their vitamin C.
So in the case of your pumpkin/squash which is high in nutrients (that ekkies need the most) to ensure it is healthiest- it should be chopped fresh, microwaved, then frozen ;)