• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus only please- Diet study :)

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I've been wondering about insects for a while now. Monaco tries for any bug she sees. She's fast! Spending so much time in the tree and nest makes me think that bugs, especially fleshy ones, would not be passed up waiting for the males to feed them. Any information on that in your research @mythic55 ? Like the mouse stories, I doubt they would pass on the opportunity, but insects would be much more frequently available.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I've been wondering about insects for a while now. Monaco tries for any bug she sees. She's fast! Spending so much time in the tree and nest makes me think that bugs, especially fleshy ones, would not be passed up waiting for the males to feed them. Any information on that in your research @mythic55 ? Like the mouse stories, I doubt they would pass on the opportunity, but insects would be much more frequently available.
Would like to know as well, I've thought of it several times too. I have a GREAT amount of meal worms for my leopard geckos and there'd be another way to use them.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I currently use hard boiled egg (one of the only sources of vitamin D in food).

But often enough, yes. There were three idenitified species of insects in Iron Range National Park on Cape York that were often consumed. Interestingly enough- usually females were more common to attack live prey. Obviously females need more protein requirements- but furthermore it makes sense since they live in a dark cave for the majority of the year (with insects, I assume).

Im seeking to investigate this further next month when I travel again. I have a few meetings set up- im fairly excited about.

I wouldnt hesitate to feed mealworms (just not superworms). Cut off the head and/or microwave as the slow digestion would give them opportunity to bite or scratch. But dont give any that are dried and 'dusted'. Of course, this is not in excess, as their exoskeleton is not soluble fiber :wacky:

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I currently use hard boiled egg (one of the only sources of vitamin D in food).

But often enough, yes. There were three idenitified species of insects in Iron Range National Park on Cape York that were often consumed. Interestingly enough- usually females were more common to attack live prey. Obviously females need more protein requirements- but furthermore it makes sense since they live in a dark cave for the majority of the year (with insects, I assume).

Im seeking to investigate this further next month when I travel again. I have a few meetings set up- im fairly excited about.

I wouldnt hesitate to feed mealworms (just not superworms). Cut off the head and/or microwave as the slow digestion would give them opportunity to bite or scratch. But dont give any that are dried and 'dusted'. Of course, this is not in excess, as their exoskeleton is not soluble fiber :wacky:
I breed them in a bin for my geckos, I do throw in some calcium to help gut load them but not the multivitamins I dust them in, is the calcium powder they eat fine for ekkies or does it not matter?

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
If you are gut loading, that is not the issue. Just not the multi dusting powder on the top.

But right now- your bird was delivered unweaned and much younger than you were told. So I would hold off on highly fiberour foods for awhile.

Try dusting your new foods with a bit of formula as well as offerring formula when ever they ask. This is Critical stage in a birds life (Ive handfed hundreds of birds, I have seen the effects of improper weaning from birds that would surrendered to Avian Haven (my facility)).

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Okay, thanks!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Good afternoon everyone!
I got some really amazing data from a large group of you-
There are however some stragglers, whom stated they were 'unsure' if they could estimate. Please just TRY. It is a wide spectrum, your data will be used in conjunction with hundreds of others. I am seeking a 'snapshot' of the normal companion ekkie diet.

I travel again in two days, but I will be checking email as best I can.
So please, if you can add anything, let me know!

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
I prefer blessed gourmet for ekkies.
We don't have this here in Oz. I can buy it from Amazon but sometimes food products have been out of date when I get them. Do you know of a supplier who ships overseas? It sounds great and I would definitely give it to Ruby to try. I wonder if it would be good for my Lorries, as an alternate option, even though they get fruit and veg along with their wet/dry nectar?

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@Les charlson
I know you can buy direct, and they do ship overseas. They charge for it, im not sure how much it is 2 lbs.Lory Nectar 'Gourmet Blend'
I know for a fact it is great for them- at the wildlife center in USVI (st thomas) we have a lorakeet exhibit (breeding facility). This is far too expensive to offer, but it is highly recommended, I donate bags from time to time, because as you said- Amazon ships to east end St Thomas, but sometimes it takes forever and sometimes things are near expirory- so I cant use it up nearly fast enough.

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
@Les charlson
I know you can buy direct, and they do ship overseas. They charge for it, im not sure how much it is 2 lbs.Lory Nectar 'Gourmet Blend'
I know for a fact it is great for them- at the wildlife center in USVI (st thomas) we have a lorakeet exhibit (breeding facility). This is far too expensive to offer, but it is highly recommended, I donate bags from time to time, because as you said- Amazon ships to east end St Thomas, but sometimes it takes forever and sometimes things are near expirory- so I cant use it up nearly fast enough.
Thank you. I am going to give it a try so hopefully it will be fresh from that site. Are you going to be doing an in depth post at some point re food? I ask as I read your response on another thread re regurgitating. I tend to offer every fruit I can get my hands on along with veg so what I posted for you is different to what they are having today. They don't appear to gorge on any of them, other than passion fruit and pea pods so I am careful how often they get them. I do skin a lot of things, mainly for the sprays that growers use but if I grow my own its just washed in water. Now I am wondering about how much is too much. They all change their minds on what they choose to eat. Some days the sprouts are eaten first, other days they leave them till later. Watermelon is now on the menu but must be a wedge and large cucumbers are sliced in half for foot food. Apricots and green beans that they open for the seeds are not wanted the past couple of days.
Oh, I found sugar plums for the first time on Wednesday, they aren't as common as the blood plums, Greengage or other types. I only noticed them after you mentioning them. They are all thrilled to have them. Btw your dog is adorable. :)

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I'm so jealous of birds that will eat fresh food!

This week Monaco has turned her beak up at everything but grapes and roudybush pellets. I like to think that she's getting what she needs, but I doubt she's making choices for nutrition. She will run to snatch any junk food she can, so I think she's more likely on a roudybush potato chip binge.

Les charlson

Walking the driveway

This week Monaco has turned her beak up at everything but grapes and roudybush pellets. I like to think that she's getting what she needs, but I doubt she's making choices for nutrition. She will run to snatch any junk food she can, so I think she's more likely on a roudybush potato chip binge.
Hi. thats a funny description. I think you are doing great. Part of the problem is that writing on a board doesn't always give the whole story. I try to be as brief as possible so perhaps the diet my birds developed doesn't translate well or makes it sound easier than it was? My guys eat a lot of fresh food. When I got them they didn't.

Ruby was on a seed diet with a bit of apple and occasional green leaves or a nut. The owner said she had chop but when I got her home she had no idea what to do with it. Turns out she was offered some basic mix of salad every few weeks but because they are grazers, the food went off before she could eat it. He left it in her aviary all day. So any chop was rejected as not worth trying. Its also why she hates her fruit and veg mixed together.
One of my lorikeets had a seed and honey bread diet, my caiques on pellets etc.

All of my birds were breeder bred and when people took them home, they were only birds. That meant they had no way to imitate other birds eating habits. The six week isolation period was just me eating in front of her and sharing. It took months of coaxing before they would eat enough fresh food so that I could cut down, then eliminate their original diets. So instead of their normal amount of pellets I would offer 3/4 and and when they finished it they only had fresh food to eat, then half the amount and so on.
Some things I did are not ideal long term but their habits were hard to change. I found that smearing a piece of fruit with peanut butter worked for some things. Feeding her with a teaspoon filled with sweet potato was more acceptable than placing it in her bowl. I broke some rules such as offering her whatever I was eating as long as it wasn't on the bad list.
Smearing some plum on her beak so she had to taste it rather than giving it directly to her worked. She would take what I offered then drop it so it took her awhile to figure out that everything was edible and worth trying.
I also found my birds all have preferences as to how the food is presented. Some chopped small, some in large chunks etc. A large cucumber cut lengthwise for the seeds but chopped small is not ok although I do add some chopped anyway.
I also take their bowls away after a couple of hours to give them a food break and a chance to develop an appetite, but I am home all day.
Its early days. Monaco will definitely start eating new things. As you say, she is on a binge. Next week she may change her mind. :)

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Thank you. I am going to give it a try so hopefully it will be fresh from that site. Are you going to be doing an in depth post at some point re food? I ask as I read your response on another thread re regurgitating. I tend to offer every fruit I can get my hands on along with veg so what I posted for you is different to what they are having today. They don't appear to gorge on any of them, other than passion fruit and pea pods so I am careful how often they get them. I do skin a lot of things, mainly for the sprays that growers use but if I grow my own its just washed in water. Now I am wondering about how much is too much. They all change their minds on what they choose to eat. Some days the sprouts are eaten first, other days they leave them till later. Watermelon is now on the menu but must be a wedge and large cucumbers are sliced in half for foot food. Apricots and green beans that they open for the seeds are not wanted the past couple of days.
Oh, I found sugar plums for the first time on Wednesday, they aren't as common as the blood plums, Greengage or other types. I only noticed them after you mentioning them. They are all thrilled to have them. Btw your dog is adorable. :)
Sorry for the late response, I’m traveling- and stuck on my mobile for awhile.
That’s great about the plums! I will soon be making all the information public, and the website will launch soon with in depth data. I am a firm believer in ‘self medication’ in which birds will often consume what their bodies need.

I wonder if you offered a larger quantity of citrus? There is significant evidence to support the use of citrus for Eclectus aids in digestion and eases digestive upset. Birds are extremely sensitive creatures, and sometimes emotions from the flock can effect them ;)

So I would offer lots of citrus fruits and see if that helps

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Will do. I tried some lovely blood orange, but I will get her some little mandarins tomorrow. I know she usually likes those.

Really good oranges, so I didn't let them go to waste ;)

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
That’s great! I would go with all sorts of citrus. Like finger limes are a favorite!
Kumquat are great along with even limes and lemons. Pineapple can also be a great delivery system for fun!

nothing like a wedge of fresh pineapple with bits of seeds pressed in :)

just trying to think of more ideas...

Last edited:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Just a thought about texture hitting me today. She's been scaring defrosted mango chunks for weeks. I finally found ripe mangos, and she looks at them (and then me) like I've missed the punchline. Same with some pineapple I put in the freezer. The fresh is just offensive for some reason. Is it a texture issue? Or just switching her taste for a while? What do you guys think?