• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Eclectus infertile egg

Eclectus infertile egg laying

• U

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Y

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Mostafa

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mostafa
Hi
I have an eclectus pair, they are adult
I saw them mating.
But it’s been five time that they are laying infertile egg!
Their food is complete range, i also gave them several vitamin AD3E and...
The hen is very insist to lay egg.and she is happy with that.
Is it normal?
What can i do for them?
How can i have baby from them?
Thanks

SmallFeather

Walking the driveway
May I inquire why you want a baby? If you want another bird why don't you consider adopting from a shelter if that is a possibility in your area? There are just so many pet birds in this world that end up unwanted, and I would hate to see that happen. How often is your female laying eggs? I'm not an expert, but I think there is a point where too much egg laying is bad. Egg binding is also a really awful risk with laying. Maybe some people with more experience can chime in?

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
If she ain't laying daily or so so (not egg expert and had no breeding pairs in my bird life so) then I'd say let her be.From my experience some consequences would be that (just doing some research and nosing around in breeding) the chick could die,parents getting territoral and aggressive and all that.Not the best if you haven't ever ever handled a baby chick/breeding pair just leave them be and actually hope that they lay unfertile ones.If they lay fertile ones you could replace it with a dummy egg that you can buy online.
Also how did you know that the eggs are unfertile.I've heard that candling an egg at 1 week old or so can let you tell whether said egg is fertile or not.Other than that I can't help much.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
@EkkieLu, can say more, but be very careful with vitamin supplements!

Candleing is the only way I know to determine fertility. If she's not nesting or sitting, you would have to incubate in a machine. I've only done this with my fowl flocks, and without experience and a really good system it typically ends badly after four weeks of nearly constant vigilance, and then the real work begins if everything has gone well.

I would not get too excited. It is really difficult to breed birds, especially without experience and equipment.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
What exactly is their diet? Can you tell us more about this?

Also, how old are they?

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
20180801_190427-1.jpg Lucy lays eggs every 2 or 3 months. She eventually gives up sitting on them but they are always unfurtile. I have never saw her even let Sergei get close to her. I always use a strong Tech lite to check the eggs a couple weeks after she lays them and then again after she's given up before I get rid of them. I do have an incubator just in case because I could never destroy a live baby.
Ekkies are difficult to breed in captivity. In the wild, the pair use their large beaks to hollow out a hole in a tree. Once the female lays the eggs, she NEVER leaves the nest. The male regurgitates to feed her and guards the entrance to their nest. She is in a fairly dark quiet place with no one but her mate for company. In captivity there's distractions, lights, noise and yummy food right there. The male isn't as attentive, the female doesn't want to sit 24/7 alone when other things are going on, plus they are most likely bonded to their owners as well as each other. Replicating the ekkie reproduction environment would be considered mistreatment in a home setting... IMHO

Lucy is very diligent about sitting on her eggs and protecting her cage. But she still wants attention from me and will leave her eggs for a few minutes as soon as she sees me. Once an ekkie is a true "pet" breeding is extremely difficult. Males seem to be there for the "fun" part, but aren't willing to give up their lifestyle of playing and running around with their friends (other birdies or human) to feed his mate properly and sit with her all the time so she feels safe and protected.
Ekkies seem to be either breeders that are NEVER touched or interact with humans, or very loving members of our families. Crossing back and forth between these two realities is rare for them. If your ekkies are "pets", please don't force breeding on them. I'm still having problems with Lucy because this is exactly what her previous owner tried to do to her. Being all lovey to her for weeks, then ignoring her for weeks when she laid eggs only confused Lucy and made her mistrust humans as well as other birds. So depending on her mood, she'll either be very friendly and call "Mama, Step Up" meaning she wants to hang out with me, or she's so mean I can't get anywhere near her. It's not her fault, it was the inhumane attempts at breeding. Lucy may come around some day, Lord knows I keep trying, but she may always act like this. I'd like to see her happy and playing every day, so I will never give up on her. Besides, even with her unpredictable behavior, I love her!

Last edited:

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Hi
I have an eclectus pair, they are adult
I saw them mating.
But it’s been five time that they are laying infertile egg!
Their food is complete range, i also gave them several vitamin AD3E and...
The hen is very insist to lay egg.and she is happy with that.
Is it normal?
What can i do for them?
How can i have baby from them?
Thanks
Are the perches steady? Wobbly perches can cause infertile eggs. Is their water supply filtered or boiled? Is she sitting on the eggs? More info would be helpful.