• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus hormonal with a loss of appetite

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
Our 3yo eclectus is showing hormonal behavior right now and he seems to have seriously lost his appetite. He usually digs into his chop in the morning but instead he only looks out the window and does his begging routine and calls out like he's looking for a "special friend". He really hasn't been eating anything until the afternoon. He seems to wait to really eat in the evening when he settles into his enclosure and has access to his pellets. Overall, I'd say he's been eating half the food that he normally does.

He seems to go through this when once in the spring and in the fall. Is this typical?

If his eating doesn't pick up, I'll take him to the vet.
Thanks for any advice.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m sure by now you are doing all of the usual tricks to help a bird through these broody periods like increasing the sleep/dark time at night to 12 or more hours, limiting the fats in the diet, and re-arranging the cage frequently. Has your poor boy lost weight?

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
I’m sure by now you are doing all of the usual tricks to help a bird through these broody periods like increasing the sleep/dark time at night to 12 or more hours, limiting the fats in the diet, and re-arranging the cage frequently. Has your poor boy lost weight?
Thanks for the response.

While I've been isolating due to covid, his enclosure has been with me in the den so both of us have been getting 11 to 12 hours of sleep (covid stinks, btw). He doesn't get much fat since his diet is mostly veg and fruit. He doesn't get much pellets (Tops and Harrisons). He is on his play and feeding stands all day. I've been making new toys for him but he hasn't been very interested except to try to mate with them. He mostly begs looking out the windows.

Unfortunately, he is a "hands off" bird so I don't get to weigh him. He resists training attacking hands or targeting sticks. That's another issue that we probably need help professional with. He'll ride on my shoulder to be transported from place to place or to take a shower but no hands allowed.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My CH Conure is a “no touch” bird, too. I manage to get him on the scale by placing it on something so that the perch is at an equal level to his cage top. I’m able to target him to the perch—when he’s in a mood to do so.

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Weird, itd be helpful if you knew if he was losing weight or not. I'd recommend the vet. Mel has never decreased her appetite while being hormonal but that might just be her. Basil is just starting to be hormonal and is still eating as much as ever.

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
Weird, itd be helpful if you knew if he was losing weight or not. I'd recommend the vet. Mel has never decreased her appetite while being hormonal but that might just be her. Basil is just starting to be hormonal and is still eating as much as ever.
I've since read in a couple of places that eclectus often have reduced appetite while hormonal. My wife reminded me that I said the same thing about Toby's appetite back in April/May when he got crazy hormones.

In the last few days, Toby is acting less hormonal and his eating has picked up. I added some quinoa to his chop and he's been cleaning his bowl at dinner time. So, it looks like things may be returning to normal, thankfully.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Hiya @JornsBergenson, Monaco has been a little bit more intense the last two cycles too. A couple of days of what seemed like she didn't eat more than a few pellets or nuts, and then scarfed everything in sight for a couple of days. No amount of adjustment to light or photo period has had effect on her cycles, I think ekkies are just wired for timing in the southern hemisphere. I gave in and let her have extra almonds, egg, and whatever else she showed interest in...some days it wasn't anything. I, however, take extra vitamins and long showers!

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
Following up here. Toby went to the vet for a wellness check and the vet was impressed with how great he looked. Good weight, no infections found. She advised to do blood work after the holidays when we can get accurate lab work done.
So, yeah, I'm going to expect a change to Toby's eating when he is hormonal. Monitoring food intake, weight and poops are important daily activities when taking care of birds (I says to myself).