• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus friends?

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I think they can be hot-headed in general! Monaco spent about 12 years with a cag. She was the new addition at around 1year old, so I bet age is also a factor. She still talks about/to her every day. The cag passed 8 years ago if my understanding is correct.

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
My understanding is that Eclectus females in particular can be a little hot headed towards other species, but I could be wrong.

@EkkieLu ?
Mine is a male and he is still quite young he’s only about 8months old, does anyone know how the other species (moustache parakeet in particular) would react?,theres not much about them on the web but ive seen them getting along with larger birds like cockatoos really well.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I'd be concerned about the size difference. One bite from that big beak could seriously inure a little quaker. Also, I find that our large bird, a U2 is upset by little birds the most when they fly around. I wouldn't put it past him to grab one out of the air mid flight. I do think he'd tolerate another large bird sitting on a perch in the same room, but that's about it. Each bird is different, and you won't know if they like each other until you try it. But be careful!

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
I'd be concerned about the size difference. One bite from that big beak could seriously inure a little quaker. Also, I find that our large bird, a U2 is upset by little birds the most when they fly around. I wouldn't put it past him to grab one out of the air mid flight. I do think he'd tolerate another large bird sitting on a perch in the same room, but that's about it. Each bird is different, and you won't know if they like each other until you try it. But be careful!
Thanks!, i know that bigger birds might be upset by thisso i was thinking of maybe getting a derbyan instead of a moustache bigger but ver similar personality, would a larger bird get on better with an eclectus?

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
Thanks!, i know that bigger birds might be upset by thisso i was thinking of maybe getting a derbyan instead of a moustache bigger but ver similar personality, would a larger bird get on better with an eclectus?
But the problem is that derbyans are very hard to find where i live id have to either fly it across the country or myself!
But such is life

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Regardless of the species, there is a chance they won't get along.. even other Eclectus!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you want to get another bird, do so with the idea that the two may never get along.

I know someone who has a female eclectus and had(?) a lovebird that just adored her. The two got along quite well! Which is highly unusual and they were lucky.

There's really no way to say how two birds will get along, regardless of the size differences between them. The main thing is, the bigger the size difference, the bigger chance of one bird seriously hurting, or worse, the other bird.

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
If you want to get another bird, do so with the idea that the two may never get along.

I know someone who has a female eclectus and had(?) a lovebird that just adored her. The two got along quite well! Which is highly unusual and they were lucky.

There's really no way to say how two birds will get along, regardless of the size differences between them. The main thing is, the bigger the size difference, the bigger chance of one bird seriously hurting, or worse, the other bird.
Thanks!, does anyone have any ideas on helping them to get along?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Station training and training in general.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Station training?
Training them to stay in a designated area, like on a playstand. Chipper gets treats and love when he's on his stand. If he gets down, he gets no eye contact, no talking, just placed back on his stand. And we have a three strike rule, he goes in his cage for a bit after getting down three times. We have kids, so it's really important. We're bringing home a foster bird Feb 1, and he's far too big to be with the Littles, so he and Chipper will have to be together. They'll each have a playstand at opposite ends of the room, and through station training, will stay on their perches and tolerate each other. That's the plan. Lol Chipper may protest with some extra screaming for a few days.

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
Training them to stay in a designated area, like on a playstand. Chipper gets treats and love when he's on his stand. If he gets down, he gets no eye contact, no talking, just placed back on his stand. And we have a three strike rule, he goes in his cage for a bit after getting down three times. We have kids, so it's really important. We're bringing home a foster bird Feb 1, and he's far too big to be with the Littles, so he and Chipper will have to be together. They'll each have a playstand at opposite ends of the room, and through station training, will stay on their perches and tolerate each other. That's the plan. Lol Chipper may protest with some extra screaming for a few days.
Good luck with that!

CheekyBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rose
Our Male eclectus if fine with green cheek conures, he is friends with them, though he dosent like it when they make noise... he also became friends with a lost galah we found, so maybe they can be with larger birds?(we only had the galah for 3 days before we found the owner) but he is definitely fine with the GCCs, sometimes it will just depend on the bird though.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
My understanding is that Eclectus females in particular can be a little hot headed towards other species, but I could be wrong.

@EkkieLu ?
A "little" hot headed? Lol! Lucy has no fear and will go after anything that moves when she's hormonal. She's already gone after Milly the Macaw so a smaller birdie wouldn't stand a chance. Ekkie beaks are huge for their body size and the females definitely don't hesitate to use them, whereas Sergei is very honestly the most gentle birdie I've ever met.