• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus Diet?

Anonymouse

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Jenna
So I'm thinking about getting an eclectus, however I'm a bit confused on their diet. I've been reading a lot of sites saying they should be on 90% fruits and veggies, and 10% pellets. Some people say they only give theirs 10 pellets a week or less. So should eclectus' be fed fresh food all day and only have pellets as a rare treat? Also what foods should they get everyday because I know they can suffer from certain deficiencies in their diet. I've attached a document that has the foods that can eat, would you recommend I add or take away anything?

Attachments

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Hello there,

I have found similar to you. This website looks quite good, and has a good list of safe and unsafe foods...

Hope this helps and I hope you are able to get one soon!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
By the way, I don't have any experience with this species so you may want to wait for some better advice.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
There's a lot of misleading information in the pdf. The entire list of grains are all legumes, and it's missing vital quantity information, especially for beginners. The vit a situation for ekkies is different from the issues that tend to appear in the more common species, and is related specifically to synthetic vitamin a. There's just too much off about it to take it seriously. Please don't use it as anything more than a list of edible plants.

They certainly do need a lot of fresh food and a lot of fruit compared to similar sized species. The dietary needs have been very slow to change in the industry at large. They are truly unique in a variety of ways.

How you feed your prospective bird will also be determined by its age and habits. Mine, for example, is 20, set in her ways, and it's been difficult to introduce fresh foods and in sufficient variety to make real dietary changes for the better. My newest skill is creatively hiding food in other food. It definitely takes dedication.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
So I'm thinking about getting an eclectus, however I'm a bit confused on their diet. I've been reading a lot of sites saying they should be on 90% fruits and veggies, and 10% pellets. Some people say they only give theirs 10 pellets a week or less. So should eclectus' be fed fresh food all day and only have pellets as a rare treat? Also what foods should they get everyday because I know they can suffer from certain deficiencies in their diet. I've attached a document that has the foods that can eat, would you recommend I add or take away anything?
I personally would not feed peanut at all due to chances of aspergillosis plus they’re not a healthy nut nor would I feed very much asparagus if any as asparagus can cause gut upset.
Pellets have been linked to many serious health issues in Ekkies so a fresh food diet is preferred for them.

Edit: had to remove a tag that was not needed cos I’m a tool lol.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Hello there,

I have found similar to you. This website looks quite good, and has a good list of safe and unsafe foods...

Hope this helps and I hope you are able to get one soon!
I did really find a lot of helpful information in their book. The authors even communicated with me directly. I appreciate their attention and methods, but the diet they use is weighted (pun intended) to the higher caloric and nutrition required for very active and breeding birds. None of it is poor information, but it's important to recognize that is where they're coming from in the book.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I personally would not feed peanut at all due to chances of aspergillosis plus they’re not a healthy nut nor would I feed very much asparagus if any as asparagus can cause gut upset.
Pellets have been linked to many serious health issues in Ekkies so a fresh food diet is preferred for them.

Edit: had to remove a tag that was not needed cos I’m a tool lol.
Too late!

Anonymouse

Real Name
Jenna
Thank you so much. I want to make sure I understand their diet before getting one to start off on the right foot. I'll definitely do some more research on diet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

EccieK

Real Name
EkkieK
this is a good website too get all your info from I also posted a chop recipe that works wonders since they cannot avoid eating all the wonderful goodness in it!
Eclectus Parrots | Beauty of Birds AVOID AVOID seed especially any that have vitamin supplements Im going to be trying "goldenfeast" Goldn' obles I
ive got it on order. its designed for Eccies as a pellet, without the supplements. of course check out that site its a treasure trove of info! and if you want my chop recipe let me know