• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus Diet

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Wondering how much they eat per day and what a good diet for them would be, what kind of pellets? I know they have a 'special' diet.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Pellets are usually not recommended for eclectus parrots, but if you do provide them, they should never have color dyes in them. Hopefully someone else will reply with more information.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds tend to eat 15-20% of their body weight per day. They need a diet that consists primarily of fresh veggies and fruits

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
That diet you mentioned is very complicated! My ekkies eat fresh fruits and veggies every day. I also switch off between baked chicken or fish, and scrambled eggs. Fresh fruits i dice up thin the size of a thumb nail. Veggies i cook, put in a food processor and mix with cooked brown rice (equal parts of rice and vegies). I give them bed snacks, a couple nutri berries as a bribe to get them into their cage very easily at night!
If I'm having an apple, or spinach salad or anything else I know they like, I always give them some too! Sharing is fun!
I make bird muffins too, very easy! 1 c. Whole wheat self rising flour, 1 c. Crushed salt free nuts, 1/3 c. Rolled oats, 1 ripe mashed banana, 1 cup chopped fruits (whatever you have diced small), 3 eggs (no shell), and 1 1/2 c. Water. Mix thoroughly. Spoon into muffin pans. Bake @350' for 20 mins.
As for quantity, my male Sergei eats more than Lucy. I would rather give them a little extra than have them go hungry. Figure out how much your ekki e eats each meal. Mine eat 3 meals a day, all different. I remove the previous meal scraps. Don't let them sit in the cage beyond the next meal whenever that may be! My ekkies like/dislike different things. Like kids, you'll figure that out pretty quick. I use post it notes, but then I'll see one of them eating something they wouldn't touch a couple months ago! Lucy loves cracking her own nuts - pistachios or pecans! Once a week I put a few in her treat dish to enjoy. Sergei can't be bothered, he'd rather have a muffin.
I take them both to our avian vet every 3 months without fail. Beak and nail trim, a weight check, and mini checkups. My Sergei is 27 years and Lucy is now 11 years! Hope I helped!!!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
That diet you mentioned is very complicated! My ekkies eat fresh fruits and veggies every day. I also switch off between baked chicken or fish, and scrambled eggs. Fresh fruits i dice up thin the size of a thumb nail. Veggies i cook, put in a food processor and mix with cooked brown rice (equal parts of rice and vegies). I give them bed snacks, a couple nutri berries as a bribe to get them into their cage very easily at night!
If I'm having an apple, or spinach salad or anything else I know they like, I always give them some too! Sharing is fun!
I make bird muffins too, very easy! 1 c. Whole wheat self rising flour, 1 c. Crushed salt free nuts, 1/3 c. Rolled oats, 1 ripe mashed banana, 1 cup chopped fruits (whatever you have diced small), 3 eggs (no shell), and 1 1/2 c. Water. Mix thoroughly. Spoon into muffin pans. Bake @350' for 20 mins.
As for quantity, my male Sergei eats more than Lucy. I would rather give them a little extra than have them go hungry. Figure out how much your ekki e eats each meal. Mine eat 3 meals a day, all different. I remove the previous meal scraps. Don't let them sit in the cage beyond the next meal whenever that may be! My ekkies like/dislike different things. Like kids, you'll figure that out pretty quick. I use post it notes, but then I'll see one of them eating something they wouldn't touch a couple months ago! Lucy loves cracking her own nuts - pistachios or pecans! Once a week I put a few in her treat dish to enjoy. Sergei can't be bothered, he'd rather have a muffin.
I take them both to our avian vet every 3 months without fail. Beak and nail trim, a weight check, and mini checkups. My Sergei is 27 years and Lucy is now 11 years! Hope I helped!!!
Thank you this post was so, so helpful!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Ekkies are messy eaters. That's why I do a quick wipe down every morning. The wall behind their cage also gets a scrub every weekend when I pull out their cage to sanitize it. An easy way to clean their perches is to put very hot water and vinegar in the kitchen sink (or bucket) and let them soak while cleaning cleaning everything else. Then just wipe them clean!