• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus diet and feeding schedule

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Just curious for those with ekkies!
What is your daily feeding routine like? What do you feed and when? Obviously fruits and veggies but get specific! What's your favorite, what's your bird's favorite? Do you do sprouted seeds? What kind of seeds do you sprout? What is your sprouting routine? How much of each thing are you feeding? If you do feed any kind of pellets or seed mix, what do you use? Do you prep in bulk? How long do you prep for? Are you freezing it? Or just preparing enough each day?

I've been doing research for a long time and now I'm wanting to hear from others' experience! There is so much generalization and conflicting info out there. I know they require a different diet than other parrots. Some things say offer some pellets and seeds, some say no pellets at all. I know no artificial colors or added vitamins because it can affect their liver and health. After all my research I have decided I want to move forward and search for an ekkie baby so hearing more experiences will help! Thank you guys :D

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I'm excited to see the answers. I'm having a lot of trouble finding things Monaco will try, much less shifting to less of the junk food. She's on the low side of average weight, and she is very aggressive about the obvious reduction of her junk food!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Following, don't have anything to say since I don't get my baby till next month, but excited to see others' answers! Good question! <3

Flossie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Flynn is young but I'm getting him on a good eating habit, breakfast when first uncovered, (in his cage) he is out during the day so has to forage for a few nuts, peas in the pod, a stick of celery, chunks of carrot, or a chilli pepper whatever I have on hand. When the family sit down to dinner he gets his too, (in his cage only) he's messy and doesn't eat everything but he certainly tucks in for several minutes, I'm hoping one day he will say 'Yum, yum, peas and corn and carrots'. I test him out on everything and make him a bowl each meal from scratch. I only have one bird and also have a vegie garden. I just cut a 5 + mix which includes sprouted seeds (a sprouter is a must) a little chopped dried fruit (cranberries are a fav, chopped preferred) frozen veg can work out also, peas and corn are favs. I just keep experimenting and found I can train him using sunflower seeds in their shell, takes him awhile to eat each treat but he sure does train well with them and these seeds are only given as the reward. Other seeds and nuts he never devours totally.

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
There was another post re feeding that I commented on specific foods, how much etc. See below.
This morning my guys had, mango, two types of grapes,(some like black, some green), bok choy, mulberries, cherries, baked pumpkin, blueberries, passionfruit, strawberries, broccolini and peas in the pod.
This afternoon they will get whole fresh green beans, cucumber, nectine, parsley and kale, peach and apple. Also tomato, cucumber and chilli, (for the seeds) pomegranate and some egg.
This doesn't include their seed and trail mix bowl. Its a large parrot mix combined with coconut, pumpkin seeds, linseeds and some nuts added.

Favourites at the moment are passionfruit, peas in the pod, broad beans, corn on the cob, green beans, sprouts and peanut butter on 9 grain bread and toast with butter(not often). They also adore the odd offering of lorikeet wet food.

I do have some tops alfalfa pellets but they don't really eat many. I make sprouts but can't remember what they are other than mung beans, various seeds, wheat and peas.
I feed early morning and again after they have their afternoon snooze similar to what they do in the wild here.

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
I don't know much about ekkies. But we have one at the rescue where i volunteer at the moment. We give the bigger parrots seeds. And we recently had a bag of Harrison pellets. So I mixed that in. But I read somewhere that they are not good for ekkies. I'm not sure, because that source also advised to give them some cheese as a treat. Didn't know if I should take it serious.
I know this is an old thread, but maybe someone can help me?!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I don't know much about ekkies. But we have one at the rescue where i volunteer at the moment. We give the bigger parrots seeds. And we recently had a bag of Harrison pellets. So I mixed that in. But I read somewhere that they are not good for ekkies. I'm not sure, because that source also advised to give them some cheese as a treat. Didn't know if I should take it serious.
@Miss Annamarie might hopefully be able to help you with some information.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Each morning mine get a large bowl of chopped fruit and veggies as well as some sprouts that I purchase a few times a week. They also get a smaller dish of Volkman Eclectus seed mix. I have some "Species Specific" Eclectus pellets from Pretty Bird that I haven't offered them yet. I may just add a few to the seed mix each day to see how they like it and use it as a treat if they do. I'm cautious about giving them pellets but I need to research it a little more.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Each morning mine get a large bowl of chopped fruit and veggies as well as some sprouts that I purchase a few times a week. They also get a smaller dish of Volkman Eclectus seed mix. I have some "Species Specific" Eclectus pellets from Pretty Bird that I haven't offered them yet. I may just add a few to the seed mix each day to see how they like it and use it as a treat if they do. I'm cautious about giving them pellets but I need to research it a little more.
I have a friend who has fed her ekkie for a long time with the pellets designed for ekkies (vetafarm ones) and some fresh foods, she says she has seen no issues such a toe tapping and all vet checks come back ok.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Hi! I personally do not feed any pellets. I feed about 50% fruit, 30% veggies, 20% nuts, seed, sprouts, etc. I try to vary the fruit and veggies as much as i can as well.

EkkieMom19

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Becky
Rambo gets a variety each morning including peas, corn, fresh carrots, kale, blueberries, peppers and grapes. Will rotate apples, blackberries, tomato, mango, plums, bananas or anything else I may have that is safe. Peas, corn and berries are frozen. I get enough out for the week and store in Tupperware in the fridge. His favorites are peas and fresh carrots. I prepare fresh each morning and give seconds in the afternoon. Keep a bowl of eclectus dry always available. He is an 18 year old rescue. Had him 7 months. He is healthy and loves his food.

Flock Mama

Moving in
Real Name
Monica D Castro
My Ekkie, Salem, and my Lovebirds get a variety week to week! My Ekkie is the better eater…he love love loves pomegranates, corn, peas, bell peppers and apples! I always throw a lot more of the orange veggies in his chop, he’s not crazy about carrots :(

I hide almonds and cashews around their room for foraging!

In the evenings they get the Life Enhancing Pellets from Birdtricks, my Ekkie and Lovebirds looooove those pellets!!