• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 . . . Echo had ANOTHER SEIZURE, TODAY.

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
WHYYYYY
Echo just had a seizure today, it happened 30-60 minutes ago, she still can't stand correctly, kinda. I can't get her to the vet right now.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I thought you were going to book an appointment last week?

These are not going to stop just by doing nothing about it but worrying.

I can’t say it any clearer or more politely…. Your bird needs medical attention.
It is not fair to do nothing to help your bird, especially knowing that it’s having serious seizures- if you can not get someone in the family or a friend to help you with getting your bird the vet treatment it should be entitled to then please consider contacting a rescuer or vet to ask them to take the bird from you and provide it with adequate medical care.

I’m sorry if you think I sound cruel- but allowing this to happen to the point that it’s becoming kinda routine is more than cruel.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thread moved to 911 forum.

¨This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE
¨

This has been going on a while, either get them to a vet (explaining this is an emergency they can sometimes give you a slightly earlier appointment), call the breeder/seller and ask they help you find a vet to tend to your bird, or relinquish your bird to someone who can take them to the vet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm very sorry but I don't know what we can do for you :( This is very concerning and every seizure potentially brings you a step closer to losing her.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Either give Echo to rescue, take her back to the breeder/seller or get her to a avian veterinarian ASAP. I'm not going to be polite, I'm going to be straight up honest; what you are doing is neglectful and cruel. This has been going on for quite a while her health issues and lack of care on your part. She needs medical attention like days ago. If you honestly love her then take care of her now.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
There’s absolutely no shame in knowing when you can’t take care of a bird and finding someone who can. It’s the right thing to do. It hurts to have to do it, but the alternative is keeping a bird you love and watching it suffer needlessly.
The sooner a proper home or rescue is found where care can be given, the better. If you wait too long, the consequences aren’t yours, they’re echos.

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
Thanks everyone, but I am trying my very best to get her to the vet, but every time I ask my mom, she says that she will. But ends up not doing it. I am taking good care of her, right now she is okay. I will get her to the vet. I know I've just been cruel, but I can't do anything against this and am trying very hard.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks everyone, but I am trying my very best to get her to the vet, but every time I ask my mom, she says that she will. But ends up not doing it. I am taking good care of her, right now she is okay. I will get her to the vet. I know I've just been cruel, but I can't do anything against this and am trying very hard.
Are there any other adult in your life who you could get to assist you? Either in taking you to the vet, or helping to convince your mother?

Be persistent. If you know what vet you are going to, get her the number. Or offer to make the appointment for her. If talking on the phone is scary, see if your vet has online appointment booking, or an email address you can reach them at.

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
Are there any other adult in your life who you could get to assist you? Either in taking you to the vet, or helping to convince your mother?

Be persistent. If you know what vet you are going to, get her the number. Or offer to make the appointment for her. If talking on the phone is scary, see if your vet has online appointment booking, or an email address you can reach them at.
Yesterday I asked her if we could bring Echo to the vet and she said NO. She said no because she said that Echo was going to be okay when she obviously ISN'T, and I can't do anything! I really don't know what to do know. :sad11:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is there another adult in your life who is more sympathetic? An older sibling or cousin, an aunt or uncle, even a family friend.

I agree with the others: Echo is suffering. These seizures are not going away and are becoming more frequent which is a bad sign. Each seizure does a bit more damage to the brain and makes it harder to recover.

At this point you may be looking at euthanasia. You might have been able to control it had you got medical help as soon as you noticed a problem, but it sounds like your mother will not pay for medication to help control the seizures and it may be too late, too much damage may have already been done. It's not fair on Echo to spend the rest of her life having these seizures, potentially hurting herself during them, having to cope with the after effects and being disorientated and scared. This is not a happy, healthy way to live - or to die.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I agree ^^^^ with the above. The damage is done and most likely there will be no good outcome. If your mom says no that there are only 2 options euthanasia or a rescue.