• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Echinacea tea

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Nnbal could you please tell me your source for this information?
There is a sheet of paper in the box of each prescribed medication.There are rows of side effects. This is the source of information.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
While giving a tiny amount of echinacea to Pasha “every once and awhile” probably won’t hurt him, it’s simply very probable to not do any good for him- or do anything, really other than maybe make you feel as though you’re doing something good for him. As a healthcare practitioner, I’ve had patients ask for alternative or homeopathic medicine in lieu of “traditional western medicine” (as someone called it) and my answer to them has always been the same. If the science isn’t there, and I mean irrefutable science, then all you are is consuming something potentially unsafe at worst and a waste of money at best. There is that placebo effect- you feel better because you feel more in control or feel as though the substance is “working” and symptoms improve just due to our brains feeling better- and there is value in that. If you feel you must make some echinacea tea for Pasha, because you are worried about him post antibiotic therapy... then by all means as he is your parrot. I do want you to know that side effects have been documented from over use, and the majority of documentation report nothing clinically improved. So you may well just be separating yourself from your cash for naught. But perhaps it will make you feel better, and one cannot put a price on relief.
Absolutely not. If I didn't benefit from it, I would never use it.This is not an imaginary benefit. A benefit confirmed by the doctors I saw with my eyes.You may not believe much, but that doesn't change the truth.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Absolutely not. If I didn't benefit from it, I would never use it.This is not an imaginary benefit. A benefit confirmed by the doctors I saw with my eyes.You may not believe much, but that doesn't change the truth.
I’d like to share a story with you, if you don’t mind. It’s the tail end of cold season here in my state, and anyone who happens to catch the cold virus going around ends up miserable for a week to 10 days with the typical runny nose, headache, etc. I have one patient who comes to me and asks me what he can take as his symptoms are making him feel awful. It’s viral, no prescribed meds other than over the counter to help his symptoms, I tell him this and away he goes. Probably off to the drugstore for some popular cold medicine to ease the symptoms. The next morning, his wife is in front of me. Same diagnosis and same treatment recommended. Except she heads to the health food store instead. She stocks up on zinc lozenges and echinacea tea and elderberry syrup. I run into both of them a week later at the grocery store (it’s a small town) and pleased they’re both doing so much better! The husband said his cold was terrible at first but he was able to work as normal-as long as he took the over the counter cold medicine as the box instructed his symptoms were mild. He praised the cold medicine NyQuil to the heavens! Stated he would never be caught without it again during cold season. His wife? She was miserable for 4 days and then the herbal remedies she bought finally kicked in! I smiled as she told me she’d keep the secret of just how well that elderberry syrup and those zinc lozenges worked— she didn’t want me losing any patients.

I was very happy knowing both of them recovered completely and went about my shopping.

The truth? The truth is that they both had the same virus and their bodies handled it. No medicine or alternative therapies healed them- that was their immune systems. It wasn’t the miracle of NyQuil that made the husband better, although the acetaminophen in the medicine certainly helped his headaches and the decongestant helped his nose. He didn’t suffer much at all. And the Wife’s lozenges, tea, and syrup? While all of them have unverified claims to help heal colds, the truth is that the Wife’s cold ran its course too ~although she suffered her symptoms far longer than the husband. But she felt so much better that she was treating her cold “naturally”. She was just fine having miserable symptoms for those 4 days while waiting on her natural cure.

The bottom line? The wife made the same statement you just made. She knows the herbal treatments she took work! She’s living proof. She witnessed what they did for her. And they’re her go to cold season virus weapons from here on out! Now, could I have been a party pooper and burst her bubble, telling her that not only did those therapies not shorten the duration of her cold but also inform her that she chose to suffer for 4 days because she wouldn’t take some Tylenol or cold medicine? I could have, but why? She was very happy with her “natural” cures. It pains me to know she spent almost $60 on items from the health food store and yet still had miserable symptoms for 4 days until her immune system rose above the virus, but she certainly didn’t see things that way. And a bit of sugary elderberry syrup never hurt anyone not diabetic, so I smiled at her and gave her my blessing.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
I’d like to share a story with you, if you don’t mind. It’s the tail end of cold season here in my state, and anyone who happens to catch the cold virus going around ends up miserable for a week to 10 days with the typical runny nose, headache, etc. I have one patient who comes to me and asks me what he can take as his symptoms are making him feel awful. It’s viral, no prescribed meds other than over the counter to help his symptoms, I tell him this and away he goes. Probably off to the drugstore for some popular cold medicine to ease the symptoms. The next morning, his wife is in front of me. Same diagnosis and same treatment recommended. Except she heads to the health food store instead. She stocks up on zinc lozenges and echinacea tea and elderberry syrup. I run into both of them a week later at the grocery store (it’s a small town) and pleased they’re both doing so much better! The husband said his cold was terrible at first but he was able to work as normal-as long as he took the over the counter cold medicine as the box instructed his symptoms were mild. He praised the cold medicine NyQuil to the heavens! Stated he would never be caught without it again during cold season. His wife? She was miserable for 4 days and then the herbal remedies she bought finally kicked in! I smiled as she told me she’d keep the secret of just how well that elderberry syrup and those zinc lozenges worked— she didn’t want me losing any patients.

I was very happy knowing both of them recovered completely and went about my shopping.

The truth? The truth is that they both had the same virus and their bodies handled it. No medicine or alternative therapies healed them- that was their immune systems. It wasn’t the miracle of NyQuil that made the husband better, although the acetaminophen in the medicine certainly helped his headaches and the decongestant helped his nose. He didn’t suffer much at all. And the Wife’s lozenges, tea, and syrup? While all of them have unverified claims to help heal colds, the truth is that the Wife’s cold ran its course too ~although she suffered her symptoms far longer than the husband. But she felt so much better that she was treating her cold “naturally”. She was just fine having miserable symptoms for those 4 days while waiting on her natural cure.

The bottom line? The wife made the same statement you just made. She knows the herbal treatments she took work! She’s living proof. She witnessed what they did for her. And they’re her go to cold season virus weapons from here on out! Now, could I have been a party pooper and burst her bubble, telling her that not only did those therapies not shorten the duration of her cold but also inform her that she chose to suffer for 4 days because she wouldn’t take some Tylenol or cold medicine? I could have, but why? She was very happy with her “natural” cures. It pains me to know she spent almost $60 on items from the health food store and yet still had miserable symptoms for 4 days until her immune system rose above the virus, but she certainly didn’t see things that way. And a bit of sugary elderberry syrup never hurt anyone not diabetic, so I smiled at her and gave her my blessing.
Thank you for information. I am not against medicines. But I believe and know the help of natural remedies.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for information. I am not against medicines. But I believe and know the help of natural remedies.
The beauty of this forum is that collectively we all have experiences to share. I have nothing against natural remedies. However, there is knowledge in knowing that sometimes it’s not the “remedy” that is the cure at all, but rather time.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
The beauty of this forum is that collectively we all have experiences to share. I have nothing against natural remedies. However, there is knowledge in knowing that sometimes it’s not the “remedy” that is the cure at all, but rather time.
Of course. You are right. Thank you all.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There is a sheet of paper in the box of each prescribed medication. There are rows of side effects. This is the source of information.
Of course, there are rows and rows of side effects. That is because there have been large population controlled studies done which are required to inform the public of every side effect observed and of the effectiveness of the medication. Of course, no large population controlled studies are done on herbs and natural medications performed, so no one (including you and me) have any idea whether there are side effects associated with these substances, nor if they are effective.

Did you take that into account.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Of course, there are rows and rows of side effects. That is because there have been large population controlled studies done which are required to inform the public of every side effect observed and of the effectiveness of the medication. Of course, no large population controlled studies are done on herbs and natural medications performed, so no one (including you and me) have any idea whether there are side effects associated with these substances, nor if they are effective.

Did you take that into account.
Thank you for sharing