• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eating Problems or just being a bird

Asalar

Moving in
Real Name
Ali
Well, my IRN has been with me for at least a month and his quarantine is ending tomorrow but the last two days he started dropping the treats I give him 95% of the time and, if it was only treats it would've been fine but, I changed his diet from all seed to fruits and, vegetables which then he only eat apples from it and, treats. When given a treat he will pull it out of my hand then just drops it.

This is my first time with IRNs and, also my first with training and, taming a bird that is not a baby.
My cockatiel does the same but he's just afraid of everything and, only eats from his food bowl but this IRN ate from my hand and, I trained him but, it's only these two days, also he looks healthy and, normal and, we've made a lot of progress with tricks and, being not afraid of my hand.

thanks in advance also, I really like this bird and, I don't want to lose him so hopefully, he's not sick.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Jardine's takes food from me and drops them (unless it's his favorite foods, Nutriberries and Almonds). I take it as he is trying to be polite but doesn't actually want what I'm giving him :lol:

Asalar

Moving in
Real Name
Ali
Maybe that's what he's thinking but, 1 month for me is still too short of a period to tell that. Also picking out only apples from his food bowl is not good for any parrots health I think.

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Those things must have lost value in your bird's eyes because they are things that are readily available in his diet.

Asalar

Moving in
Real Name
Ali
But they are treats for training I guess that's true if he only eats treats and apples as his main diet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Correct, eating apples only is not good. Don't feed treats in their main bowl, only give them when they earn them. If he won't eat veggies, have you considered a pellet diet? My Jardine's doesn't eat a lot of veggies so I rely on pellets to complete the diet

Asalar

Moving in
Real Name
Ali
I only feed him treats when he's training. I put pellets in his food bowl and, he didn't eat so I tried with apples and, again he only ate the apples.